Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: salt

Nisai

salt

I never used salt in my koi ponds, yesterday i was told that i should always have a .1 salt content in my koi ponds is this true? i looked on line some say its good some say its not, but i know someone on here will have the answer. I bought the salt today but still not sure if i should ad it or not. Thanks

MCA
    i should always have a .1 salt content in my koi ponds is this true
    In order to accomplish what? Seriously.

Adding a chemical to a pond should always be to address a specific problem. Unless you are having new pond syndrome with brown blood problems....leave the salt for the fish and chips. If there are parasites to kill, use a treatment protocol for the parasite(s) that have been identified.

Nisai
    Thanks, i guess i wont be useing it.

I wholly agree with MCA. I would add that I have read reports of adverse consequences from adding salt in northern climes during the winter months if the koi are kept outdoors in unheated conditions. The salt allows the water to become colder than the freezing point before an insulating ice cover forms. Of course, over-wintering indoors is best, but obviously many cannot do so.

Wives' tale being passed in my neck of the woods too. Vacuum the bottom and pay yourself the money needed for salt.

Quote Originally Posted by 300wby View Post
    I never used salt in my koi ponds, yesterday i was told that i should always have a .1 salt content in my koi ponds is this true? i looked on line some say its good some say its not, but i know someone on here will have the answer. I bought the salt today but still not sure if i should ad it or not. Thanks
    Just as you are getting some poor opinions. It would be better to get the information from koi health books.
    When I imported fish from Japan there was a little note advising me to gradually introduce salt to the level of .25 and then through water changes reduce to .1 level. Reason to reduce stress. The adviser was Toshio.
    Every year when I bring fish in from my mud pond they go into water at .1 salinity. Two reasons one it will reduce stress and two it produces a mucus coat which will reduce the chance of Costa explosion. As well as helping to stop infection from lost scales or scrapes.
    You can kill most parasites at a .3 level. For most it is the safest medication to use.
    Every spring I have a level of salt of .1 . In fact if you boil down a koi you will find that it has that level of salt in its body so no harm in keeping that level other than cost as you might not need it. it would be pricey for me as I run a 25% water change weekly.
    If your pond is outdoors with ice on it do not use salt as it will lower the freezing temperature and a cold wind could easily drop your water temperature to 36f where water starts to get slushy hindering gill movements as well as laying on their sides with possibility of developing ulcers as well as dropsy.
    Regards
    Eugene

Sansai
    Dear 300WBY~, It's a good thing that you asked your question BEFORE you acted on what you heard.

I am so glad this forum provides so much insight!
    We have many years of experienced Koi keepers on this forum, who are NOT afraid to help and teach others.

Lori S.

Nisai
    I search the web for some stuff but u get so many diff answers thats why i love it here u can get a answer u can trust.
    Thanks

Daihonmei
    Quote Originally Posted by Eugeneg View Post
    Just as you are getting some poor opinions. It would be better to get the information from koi health books.
    When I imported fish from Japan there was a little note advising me to gradually introduce salt to the level of .25 and then through water changes reduce to .1 level. Reason to reduce stress. The adviser was Toshio.
    Every year when I bring fish in from my mud pond they go into water at .1 salinity. Two reasons one it will reduce stress and two it produces a mucus coat which will reduce the chance of Costa explosion. As well as helping to stop infection from lost scales or scrapes.
    You can kill most parasites at a .3 level. For most it is the safest medication to use.
    Every spring I have a level of salt of .1 . In fact if you boil down a koi you will find that it has that level of salt in its body so no harm in keeping that level other than cost as you might not need it. it would be pricey for me as I run a 25% water change weekly.
    If your pond is outdoors with ice on it do not use salt as it will lower the freezing temperature and a cold wind could easily drop your water temperature to 36f where water starts to get slushy hindering gill movements as well as laying on their sides with possibility of developing ulcers as well as dropsy.
    Regards
    Eugene
    Eugene, and I think I know where that information came from!
    Salt does not reduce stress directly ( my apologizes to Eugene but I wanted to be more specific) . It can help with metabolic function/osmosis fluid balance (koi are constantly passing water) however, which will in turn reduce that effort and avoid additional stress. This is because it will make it easier for the koi’s' organs and body to be in equilibrium with its surrounding.
    Salt is an irritant to koi and they will respond by secreting mucous. But the global cells will quickly become exhausted and then salt has an opportunity to act as an astringent! Drying out mucous and reducing it! So short term effect good, long term effect bad.
    And finally, costia LOVES the gills. It will borrow in like a tick on a dog and no amount of mucous will protect a fish's gills from costia in the epizootic phase. What will stop them is good water and strong koi. Remember, costia injects a toxin in the gill cells and kills them, so there is no mucous being produced in the area of invasion. This is why costia is so deadly. It can stop a gill from operating and ironically if their gills are mucous coated/irritated, that is an area of gill that is not free for gas exchange and metabolic active transport. Something to consider.
    Salt is best held back until needed and probably has a very limited place in an established main pond. As Eugene says, it is best used when importing and acclimating new koi in quarantine.
    If not used often it is a good chemotherapy for certain parasites like ich, especially in a ‘one two punch’ combination where you can use a lighter dose of a more toxic chemical with salt. This is on a case by case basis however so make sure you know about potential negative effects of using salt with certain compounds like a full charge of Formalin. As a general rule if the parasite has gotten to the gills, only very low dose salt should be considered.
    I think it would be a very good idea if , under controlled conditions, a group of koi health students would give a salt dip to a koi to show beginners just how powerful salt can be. It is no harmless. In the full traditional salt dip, koi roll over with a complete lose of osmotic function, they roll over and all the slime coat sloughs off into the water! It is quite shocking when you see it for the first time. I’ve seen koi die from such dips. Total osmotic shock.

Word to the wise . JR

MCA
    In the full traditional salt dip, koi roll over with a complete lose of osmotic function, they roll over and all the slime coat sloughs off into the water! It is quite shocking when you see it for the first time. I’ve seen koi die from such dips. Total osmotic shock.
    One of the best examples of salt dip was on one of the old Koi-Bito DVDs where Brian was visiting Maeda-san (Momotaro Koi Farm). They were dipping koi one at a time. You could see the koi's eyes roll back as it passed out and rolled over. It was immediately removed from the saline tank to a fresh water tank to recover. You never leave a koi in a salt dip. This is one case where you watch the fish like a hawk. As JR points out, the koi are having osmotic shock. The hope is any parasites are having the same shock and slide off with the slime coat.
    Koi keeping is not a belief system; it is applied science with a touch of artistry.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast