Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Help from the U. K.

Andrew and Mike - here are before and after of the asagi. First photo fall 2002 - second photo 2 weeks ago. Thought it might bee interesting to see how it's developing. Same on shiro utsuri below.

Shiro Utsuri - first photo fall 2002, second photo 2 weeks ago

Nice to see the development. The shiro has a very nice shape and has grown well. When the sumi fills in, the contrast will be strong. I personally prefer more sumi on the head, but I think I see some shadows that could create a dramatic face. Nice the way the sumi has joined on the jaw line, and the angles coming together could cause all eyes to be drawn to her forehead.

The asagi had a messy area of underdeveloped scales just behind the head, but now they have emerged very cleanly. How could anyone ever pick a tosai asagi to grow on? So much depends on scales that do not fully show for years! Dick, do you play the lotterey every week?

Mike,
    that is the problem with asagi. it takes three years to get to a place where you can quess what's gonna happen. by this time it's getting pretty expensive. a lot of my japanese friends buy half a dozen as tosai and then
    hopefully get one. as you can see this koi has changed greatly in one year. it is being advertised as female, and that's another difficulty with them, they have more of a carp body shape and the females carry thier
    eggs less dramatically and therefore are harder to identify!
    About 10 years ago I went thru my shiro phase. still love em but have such a good one that I don't look any more. sakai-hiroshima. last time showed, best shiro in her size, best in size,pacific NW koi club assoc special recognition award! only koi i ever had that won three awards in one show!

Jumbo
    Dick , very classy luster on that asagi. And clean as a whistle. I worry a bit about the bend in the one fin and only slightly about the head shape ( male like) but all in- a very nice asagi. Much better quality than the two I bought this year. I went for the body and contrast- and couldn't resist the give away price. But you can see I'm looking at run away red on these gals already. They are very young so I will hold out for fukurin and luster a year or two longer. Asagi teach up compromise! Best, JR

TWINS!!

JR: I did come home early and had a bit more than one glass of wine by the pond, but I'm not seeing double elsewhere!

You are going to have fun watching those twins develop. I know that the hi on asagi can be a negative when it splotches up the body, but I find that I am attracted to the ones with symetrical hi patterns that focus the eye on their faces. Some hi along the dorsal does not bother me all that much. And, the nearer to true red the better! Those are very nice ones you have. When you get a closer-up pic, please post it.

You know, I've not been much interested in having an asagi, but over the last 6 months or so, Dick's obsession with them has gotten me to look at them more closely whenever I see one. Now I find myself wondering at times if my comparatively hard water would darken one too much! [Remind myself: No more room. No more room. No more room!]

Mike - thanks for the comments. I also feel there is some interesting shadows under the head area of the shiro utsuri that could make this gal a real eyecatcher. The remaining pattern on the body to me at least is perfect , especially if it fills in somewhat larger when it finishes. Bottom line even without changing I like her. I already have two smaller shiros with considerably more sumi on them.
    If there is one thing I've learned helping Dick find asagis (because I'm retired and forever searching koi sites) is that you learn to appreciate the meaning of "there is no such thing as a perfect koi". I've looked at so many asagis in the past few months I'm seeing them in my sleep. God, I hope I'm not catching the dreaded Benbow Asagi virus
    Yeah this one developed more red in the pects, red along the mouth and a tiny spot on the nose etc., but has alot of other things going for it. I especially like the clean white head, the scale arrangement, and the overall feeling it imparts to me anyway. Like Andrew, wish the leading rays on the pectorals were not shortened but such is life. Hopefully both koi will look as good in the flesh when Roy looks at them on the 3rd of Janruary. Thanks again guys for all the comments.

For me, the face of a koi is very important. Shiro utsuri will always outshine other black & white koi in my estimation because of the sumi creating so much expressiveness. Argued with JR months ago about accepted standards for bald Bekkos having ruined that variety. And kumonryu/matsukawabake change so much one never gets to know them before they go schizoid. But shiro utsuri is not only expressive in their patterns, but over time as the sumi emerges they keep telling just a little more about themselves, so their owner never gets too bored.

I think this one has already seduced you, and she still has a long story to tell.

Dan,
    Thanks for the 'then and now' pics which confirm my fears with the asagi, I think as it grows it is going to sprout more hi, as can be seen already on your pics just a year apart.

Dick & Dan: So, how did the in-person report go on your new found loves?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast