Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: add water conditioner when changer water

add water conditioner when changer water

do you add water conditioner when you changer your water pond? i'm new pond koi want to save$ this cost too much very month...if im dont add water conditioner changer add salt for that ... it work, how offten you guy do when changer water, i'm changer my water very 3 day 3-4 in water deep

Sansai
    Hi Son, you don't have to put anythings in your pond. If you need help our club member happy to help. PM me your phone I will call and talk. I live in San Jose too.

Quote Originally Posted by nguyen4 View Post
    Hi Son, you don't have to put anythings in your pond. If you need help our club member happy to help. PM me your phone I will call and talk. I live in San Jose too.
    you got mail bro

Sansai
    Nothing to treat incoming tap water in San Jose? God, you're brave!

MCA
    If anyone proposes koi keeping as an inexpensive hobby....that is not accurate. For many doing at least 10% water change each week is costly. But this is one area where there is no good substitute. Dilution is the solution to polution. So add as much ST as you need to cancel out the chlorine. That single chemical should all that is needed by most folks when using commerical/public water supplies. You may or may not want/need to run the water through a filter (physical then carbon block) before putting it into the pond system.

thanks very one... i understand koi keep expensive, i thinking if have any way better than buy water conditioner.... how about salt if add salt when changer water don't need add water conditioner? it work? because wheni try too many medication fish got sick( profrom c will kill my 2 big fish), i'm don't know because this winter or water, but when add salt all fish happy and sick koi looking better and they happy, i do water changer very 2-3 day, i have two pond 1850 and 2500 gl, how about keep fesh water befor 1 day in antank and nextday changer it to pond? any one try this it work good?
    thanhson
    regan nishikigoi garden

MCA
    Please explain what you expect the salt to do. Please expect what you expect the conditioner to do more than just dechlorinate.

What problem are you trying to solve...beyond dechlorinating public water used for water changes?

Sansai
    Better find out if San Jose has chloramine and not just chlorine. Using ST is fine for chlorinated water but if dealing with with chloramine causes ammonia spikes. Mentioned salt, proformC, and winter all in the same breath, not a good combination. But what do I know.

MCA
    NOt sure why there would be a serious ammonia spike from a 10-20 percent water change? The biofilter should handle the very small amount of ammonia coming from chloramine the same as it does the ammonia being produced by the koi.

Again, specfically what problem(s) are we trying to solve. To handle chlorine or chloramine in a water change with an established pond system that is healthy...all you need is to slowly add the new water, mix it in to prevent a hot spot, and make sure to add enough ST to neutralize the chlorine. You can be generous with ST as it is cheap and hard to overdose.

If you want to spend more money to use an ammonia binder such as ChloramX instead of ST...OK....but likely not needed.
    Koi keeping is not a belief system; it is applied science with a touch of artistry.

Sansai
    Assuming that there is a mature, functioning biofilter present, no there would not be a problem with residual ammonia from breaking the chlorine ammonia bond. However, that may not be the case with having to do water changes two to three times a week and still having sick and dying fish from unknown reasons. San Jose has KHAs in the area, I suggest they contact one and have their pond evaluated.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast