Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: biofilter establishment

Daihonmei
    quarantine new purchases and keep you fish strong and healthy is the very best ways to avoid parasites.
    In short-- don't let the parasites in with new purchases
    AND two) keep your fish healthy and strong so they will never be overcome by the few parasites that exist in every pond from time to time. JR

MCA
    Ok I see your point, but frogs and small birds and other bugs bring parasites ,how do You guys avoid this?

Obviously you have not take Steve C's advanced koi keeping course that involves pellet guns.

Sorry that was one of those stories from way back when that only us oldtimers know.

Quote Originally Posted by Paultergeist View Post
    Alright.....I must ask.....what would be the purpose of adding salt in this situation?

My basic understanding is that it is hard for bad bacteria to compromise in high salt level. It will allow good bacteria to start their colonies in the filter first.

MCA
    The only reason I know to put salt in a new pond would be to help koi suffering form brown blood. I can't remember reading or hearing that you salt a pond to optimize the bacteria selection and growth.

Daihonmei
    Actually salt will retard bacterial growth as it is a natural bactericide until the bacteria can adjust to the osmotic differences thrown at it.

It does sound logical to have the salt in there and probably will only be a slight negative if used modestly.

The typical cycle at favorable temperatures will be 10 days or so of measurable ammonia and then an appearance of nitrIte for another 14 days or so. Once you read nitrITe you are well into the cycle as it will get more and more purple on the color kit chart until it looks like light red wine. And then one day it will become pink and the next day clear. And you are done. If you want to add your salt when the nitrIte readings start, just know that you may be protecting your koi but you are slowing the stage two nitrifier progress ( as they are delicate and slow asexual breeders). Its really a judgement call. JR

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234