Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: biofilter establishment

Daihonmei

biofilter establishment

So here is an interesting question---

how you do start a biofilter when you first start a pond or an aquarium?? I mean how does it start? From 'nothingness?' JR

MCA
    With or without fish?

Would prefer to do it without fish using ammonia. Add the food (ammonia) and the bacteria will arrive from an alternative universe over the next few weeks.....parameters permitting. You can track the ammonia levels and start to see nitrite and later nitrates appear.

I would run the whole system at salt level of 0.5%, and add-in the fish at one go. 2 days later start feeding them, do a back wash at settlement chamber and water change daily to dilute the salt level slowly. Biofilter will slowly activate.

Nisai
    I pour Pond Microbe directly into the pump that leads to the filter. Then when water is 1/10th of the way full , I pour it in the pond , every time it goes up a few inches, I add more, I don’t stick with the same company for microbes , I mix them, it’s ok.(diversify). then pour the stuff On, pour it on Everything. if the water will come in contact with the surface, pour it on that. Make sure you have your water oxygenated and add fish slowly (after fish are there for a while, add new microbes directly into the pump’s ) depending on your filter, & your setup, you can add plants.

Quote Originally Posted by JasPR View Post
    So here is an interesting question---

how you do start a biofilter when you first start a pond or an aquarium?? I mean how does it start? From 'nothingness?'
    JR
    In the distant past... I just added fish.

In the more recent distant past... I have added fish AND some established filter media.

You weren't looking for that old adding buttermilk remedy?

Meg
    your question rings that you want more than how do "I" start my filters up from nothing, you are asking from where does this colony of microbs arrive from to begin to establish our filters....yes?

Meg
    Quote Originally Posted by MCA View Post
    With or without fish?

......the bacteria will arrive from an alternative universe over the next few weeks......

oops! missed this ..... seems it has been answered!

Read some interesting "methods" of seeding the bio filter in the past. I assume these are done before adding fish. Just listing the items here to show what people get up to.

1. Put a full raw chicken in one of those vegtable / fruit net bags and suspend it in your filter - letting it rot.

2. Urinate in the filter daily.

3. Add a tea spoon Ammonia (floor cleaner) to the filter daily.

4. Add come chicken manure into the filter.

I personally, added some koi and a little bit of those filter bio start liquids daily for about 2 /3 weeks and left the UV lights off and that was it.

If you are actually asking where the little critters \ bacteria come from - you got me i dont know - they just do somehow - its like magic.

Quote Originally Posted by weesec01 View Post
    I would run the whole system at salt level of 0.5%, and add-in the fish at one go. 2 days later start feeding them, do a back wash at settlement chamber and water change daily to dilute the salt level slowly. Biofilter will slowly activate.
    This is also what I have learned but I will start feeding heavily from day 1.

Daihonmei
    Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    your question rings that you want more than how do "I" start my filters up from nothing, you are asking from where does this colony of microbs arrive from to begin to establish our filters....yes?

Meg wins-- where do the bacteria cells come from?

The other answers were not unexpected in that the traditional ways are ;

1) add bottled product
    2) do it artficially so that --- welll the answers to that are dopey so I;ll wait on that one---

3) add organics to it. use the fish to cycle it

The next step is how to introduce fish but that is down the road

So kid actually addressed the question- he would buy a bottle of bacteria to go and add it to the pond. But how would they get there otherwise??

JR

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast