Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Which koi's have potential ?

Tosai
    Thanks Meg , it was indeed very fustrating since we've been looking to have a yellow colored koi for a long time and now that we finally had it , it passed away . I used the melafix on the kumonryu since the eye were sunken and melafix seem to be good for eye problems and for the karasugoi it was because he seem to have a wound which melafix seem to be for that too.

Maybe with these explanations it will make sense on why i used melafix but let me know if i did the good thing.

As for my koi's if any of you can tell me if there's a female between those , please let me now.

Thanks

Of your selections, the Sanke in the third photo is interesting. When looking at tosai sold off by the breeder, I try to find what is wrong with the fish. (There is always something 'wrong'. There is no perfect koi.) The sex is not readily determinable, although the solidity of the beni as depicted in the photo suggests either early maturation of pigment or very thick pigment. I would assume early maturation, which is indicative of a male. There is a hint of what may be early retraction of beni on the head, and a speck of an area at the front base of the dorsal that may be a little dot of white or a weakness in the beni. The light edges to scales at the outer edges of the Hi plate may be a sign of weakness or an indicator of immature pigment that will fill the scale.... I can't tell from the photo. I am guessing that if it was gently bent, you would see a pale color between the scales. If the pale color is white, the beni is destined to fail. Enjoy the fish now. If the pale color is more yellowish, it will be able to grow much larger before weaknesses show up. (If the color is actually orangish, I think the breeder must have had a good year or the fish would have been kept longer.) The sumi looks good, although at this age it is not likely stabilized. The pattern is fully acceptable. A breeder would not have sold it off as tosai based on the pattern, that's for sure. There are a few touches of Matsunosuke gin in the shiroji toward the rear of the fish, which can be an indicator of good skin quality. I'd like to see in person to evaluate the skin quality. Altogether, I'm guessing this is an early maturing male of general good quality and that there must be pigment issues or it should not have been in the same batch. Given the quality and price range of the various tosai you have posted, I think you made an excellent choice with this Sanke. Please understand that I am not saying that you found a great koi in the cheap koi tub. I am saying that based just on the photo it is a koi with possibilities and one I'd be interested in inspecting if I saw it in a dealer's sale tanks.

Tosai
    Thanks MikeM for these explanations and for taking the time for writing all this information which will help for sure in the future.

Here are more pictures of the Sanke.

What do you think of the Showa in the 2nd picture since it seem to be that it will a beautiful Showa in the future.

The important thing for me is that these Showa's and Sanke are better than what i sold since that was the purpose of selling my first koi's.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Which koi's have potential ?-dsc01732.jpg   Which koi's have potential ?-dsc01734.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Zlat View Post
    Thanks MikeM for these explanations and for taking the time for writing all this information which will help for sure in the future.

Here are more pictures of the Sanke.

What do you think of the Showa in the 2nd picture since it seem to be that it will a beautiful Showa in the future.

The important thing for me is that these Showa's and Sanke are better than what i sold since that was the purpose of selling my first koi's.
    I like best No2 and 4...No5 i dont like...but then I chose with my heart...
    I am glad U did not buy the "shusui" it was not a good Koi.

Tosai
    Quote Originally Posted by Yamato View Post
    I like best No2 and 4...No5 i dont like...but then I chose with my heart...
    I am glad U did not buy the "shusui" it was not a good Koi.

Thanks Yamato , when i went to pick up these fish the shusui didn't looking appealling anymore and i think i did a good thing of going with these showa,sankes instead.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123