Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: Iceland Koi

Iceland Koi

Trausti: I saw you are in Iceland. I'd find it very interesting how you go about raising koi. Please share with us. Pond or aquaria? Indoor pond? What type of filtration? Geothermal heat? How do koi get imported? Is there a koi dealer in Iceland?

Hi Mike,

Welcome to the world of nisai! Trausti is evidently keen on koi as he was one of the very first subscribers to the magazine.

Trausti, a few Japanese acquaintances were amazed to hear about koi in Iceland. So...what's it like?
    Brian Sousa
    Koi-Bito Forum

It's like Iceland here in the middle of the UK today, very, very cold and snowing! The boiler is working overtime! :?

And to think...it was sunny and warm here today! :roll:
    Brian Sousa
    Koi-Bito Forum

While we are waiting for a reply from Trausti,

I know a man in Iceland that breeds tropical Angel fish and Corydorus catfish in geothermal ponds in his back garden. He once showed me photos of the ponds surrounded by snow and ice a few feet high.

I only visited him once and it was supposedly spring when I was there but when the wind blew it was bloody cold. THe pools gave off steam all of the time and the fish were thriving. All of the pools were hand dug and they were deep (approx 5ft) but with a narrow surface area, often about 4sq ft. The pools for breeding Corys were shallower but only used in summer.

rgds BERN
    South East Koi Club

Fry

Koi in Iceland

Hi. I life in the West coast of Iceland in small town Stykkisholmur. To day I keep 12 koi inside my house in large tube. It is filtered with 3 Rena Filstar xP3 with drifferent medina and Rena 11w UV light powered with Eheim Pro 2222. They (koi) are about 15 cm. long and imported from Germany. I am going to make a pond next summer in my garden. The pond hafe to be in some kind of garden house, reason is the weather change often very fast each day like yesterday was temperature here in Stykkisholmur -8 in celcius an lot of snow. To day is temperature +6 and rain. Yesterday was hte temperature in Northen Iceland -30 in celcius to day +4. In Reykjavík area is lot of Koi and Goldfish ponds and the people there can let the hot water (used water) from the springs run through the ponds all year round or take them (koi) indside in the winter time. Here in Stykkisholmur is also a hot spring some we use in diffirent way. I can not let the water run through my pond and throw it away. I have to heated it up with the hot water. I keep also Lionhead- and standard or common goldfishes imported from UK.

Thanks for responding. It is wonderful how koi interest people every where. If you build a pond outdoors, please share all the details. Your climate challenges make the complaints of everyone else seem silly. I'm sure everyone would like to know how you go about it. And, it would be fantastic to see photos of a koi pond in Iceland !

Some months ago I corresponded with koikeepers in Norway. They only used aquaria and had access only to equipment designed for the aquarium trade. They also could not get higher quality koi, but raised young koi obtained from Germany. Their koi had little color, but were robust. Because they only used aquaria, they preferred to get koi that were 10 - 15 cm. and raise them to 30 - 40 cm. At that size, they reached the limit of what they could accomplish. They had many challenges maintaining water quality in aquaria using equipment best suited to tropical fish. But, they were so interested in koi that they made the extra efforts. I am hoping that they can find the space indoors to have a mini-pond, and then experience success enough to take the risk of importing Japanese tosai from Germany or the UK. It is a problem for them because their aquarium shops are not willing to take the risk of having relatively expensive fish die in transport. The domestic German baby koi suffer in shipment, and they have been told that the Japanese ones are even more delicate to ship. Of course, once the shopkeepers figure a way to make a profit on it, I'm sure one of them will take the chance of importing better quality koi.

Koi kept indoors may not attain the deep colors of those raised in ponds outdoors, but I think it would give me great pleasure to have them during the dark winter months.

Tosai
    Mike M.

Just point them in my direction, I'm sure I can help.

Lars

Great offer! I'll search out the e-mail address and refer to you.