Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Oxygen blender

Quote Originally Posted by JasPR View Post
    A TT ( trickle tower) is the best way to introduce oxygen saturation into the water.

oxygen in water is a function of many things. IN LIVING water, oxygen is at a premium! Not only is it being consumed as an ordinary and necessary ingreient of cell respiration, it is also being consumed by reductive activity.

In normal/natural conditions, oxygen enters the water from the surface. This thin layer of water/atmosphere can be looked at as the pond's skin layer. And this is also where two other things happen-- where the 'undesirable and bad' gases leave the water and where Dissolved organics collect.
    Temperature also has a tremendous effect on the amount of oxygen that can be held in the water column. generally speaking, the warmer the water, the less the oxygen levels-- and this comes into a head on collision with the hobbyist that overfeeds in summer and the macho keeper looking to put great size on koi in warm water.

You can ;
    1) add air stones
    2) add venturi ( deep water)
    3) add pure oxygen
    4) paddle water
    5) drop water from a waterfall

- OR-
    You can add a TT. A tall TT allows water to flow over plastic media in extremely thin sheets ( if done well). Ideally only a mm thick or less. Slow and constant, minute to minute, hour to hour, day to day, week to week, month to month, year to year!
    This has two effects on water- 1) it brings oxygen saturation to maximum for temperature and 2) it allows undesirable gaes to escape.

In short- a TT can double or triple you pond's SURFACE skin. This is huge! Because if at the end of the day we can only get oxygen in and bad gases out at the surface skin of water- then the more surface skin you have the better that action. Nuff said. JR
    JR, Do you any picture or the diagram of the TT that you mean by for mixing the oxygen and water to the best saturation?

Quote Originally Posted by cookcpu View Post
    Airsep NewLife Intensity 10lpm SF + OM LTOT oxygen concentrator | Pure O2

I think Bro Handy is talking about the above oxygen concentrator. It is not about releasing oxygen from the oxygen cylinder. I guess the oxygen from the OC (oxygen concentrator) are not that dangerous.

Which is the best place to put the air stone, in the pond or 1st filter chamber or the pump chamber.
    Yes, bro William. That's what I have.

Daihonmei
    Quote Originally Posted by monscine View Post
    JR, Do you any picture or the diagram of the TT that you mean by for mixing the oxygen and water to the best saturation?

Sure, but I posted the picts of my 4 eight foot towers a few dozen times on this site and on NI and I think a few times on koi shack? I'll see if I can get a picture from my desk top to the newer lap top I now use-- JR

Sansai
    You can also make a degassing column from five gallon buckets. Will add aeration as well as gas off undesirables.

Nisai
    Handy bro,

Perhaps you will be interested in a method callend "Low Head Oxygenation" aka LHO. The working principle is basically like a TT, you pass water drips to an oxygen saturated closed container box. The head is a low as 17cm. The box will have water inlet, oxygen inlet and off-gas outlet.

I think google can provide more infos but I'll be more than happy to explain to you in person if you like to.

I was about to implement this method in my new pond, but so far I'm unable to find suppier for the low-wattage oxy generator. With LHO method, I believe you can utilize low watt oxy generator operated in intermitten mode. I undertsand some portable oxy gen use as low as 30 watt while the full package oxy gen usually runs at >400 watt. I'm not really that keen to use this method if I have to add another device that consume 400w of electricity. So far a TT has done a good job for me as far as oxygen need is concerned.

the filter bay arrangement will need to change a bit depending on whether the oxygen will be supplied for the fish or the bio filtration.

rgds

Daihonmei
    [QUOTE=koilvr;194789]Handy bro,

Perhaps you will be interested in a method callend "Low Head Oxygenation" aka LHO. The working principle is basically like a TT, you pass water drips to an oxygen saturated closed container box. The head is a low as 17cm. The box will have water inlet, oxygen inlet and off-gas outlet.

That's correct-- a water inlet, an aeration source ( fan or air stone ) and a way for gas to escape the cylinder ( minor point).
    The key however, is the height and medis type so as to provide what I call -drip points.

I think google can provide more infos but I'll be more than happy to explain to you in person if you like to.

I was about to implement this method in my new pond, but so far I'm unable to find suppier for the low-wattage oxy generator. With LHO method, I believe you can utilize low watt oxy generator operated in intermitten mode. I undertsand some portable oxy gen use as low as 30 watt while the full package oxy gen usually runs at >400 watt. I'm not really that keen to use this method if I have to add another device that consume 400w of electricity. So far a TT has done a good job for me as far as oxygen need is concerned.

NOT necessary and more of an aquarium concept! Just allow the ambient oxygen to enter the water. That simply means a laminar layer of water. I'm going to type this again as it may have been missed by readers---
    OXYGEN is forced into water that is low in oxygen BY the Atmosphere. YOU just need to have expanded surfaces to insure the transfer-- a TT plus your water surface will accomplish that-- ONCE you have saturation for temperature you are not getting any more oxygen into the water column and therefore no more oxygen into the fish ( from gill transfer). JR

Quote Originally Posted by koilvr View Post
    Handy bro,

the filter bay arrangement will need to change a bit depending on whether the oxygen will be supplied for the fish or the bio filtration.

rgds
    I have a clarity tower, would it be the same if I put a air stone from an oxygen concentrator in the bottom bay of the clarity tower.

Or should I put the air stone on top of the bio-rings in the tower itself to feed the oxygen as water is coming down from the tower top.

Nisai
    Quote Originally Posted by cookcpu View Post
    I have a clarity tower, would it be the same if I put a air stone from an oxygen concentrator in the bottom bay of the clarity tower.

Or should I put the air stone on top of the bio-rings in the tower itself to feed the oxygen as water is coming down from the tower top.
    what's for sure is that you will feed the oxygen by way of injection to the container. inside the container, you will have to force the oxygen to go through narrow channels, the longer the better since this will increase the likelihood of contact to happen between water and oxygen. at one end of the channel there's the injection point, at the other end there's the off-gas point. for this reason, we need to setup a grid inside the container, with the bottom edge of the grid must be submerged under water. the connection between grid just need to be at the size of a drill hole

as for a clarity tower, you can always inject the oxygen from the bottom part of the tower and let it off-gas at the top part of tower. however, you will only have once channel which is the tower tube. it will still work I assume, but efficiency may be low.

my apology if my english is difficult to understand

Quote Originally Posted by koilvr View Post
    what's for sure is that you will feed the oxygen by way of injection to the container. inside the container, you will have to force the oxygen to go through narrow channels, the longer the better since this will increase the likelihood of contact to happen between water and oxygen. at one end of the channel there's the injection point, at the other end there's the off-gas point. for this reason, we need to setup a grid inside the container, with the bottom edge of the grid must be submerged under water. the connection between grid just need to be at the size of a drill hole

as for a clarity tower, you can always inject the oxygen from the bottom part of the tower and let it off-gas at the top part of tower. however, you will only have once channel which is the tower tube. it will still work I assume, but efficiency may be low.

my apology if my english is difficult to understand
    Thank you. Don't worry about the english I can understand.

The hard part of clarity tower it is difficult to modified it to have a tube go from the top to the bottom of the tower.

Daihonmei
    Koi lover, are you talking about injecting air under pressure to create super saturation conditions? JR

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast