Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Oxygen blender

Oxygen blender

Let's say I have a medical oxygen concentrator with 10 LPM as the highest concentratoin. I want to blend the O2 produced by this equiptment with the water to rise the DOC. I curious what device/equipment that I need to do it well else than only using aerator stone?

Quote Originally Posted by monscine View Post
    Let's say I have a medical oxygen concentrator with 10 LPM as the highest concentratoin. I want to blend the O2 produced by this equiptment with the water to rise the DOC. I curious what device/equipment that I need to do it well else than only using aerator stone?
    Good Day Brother Handy ,

Are you refering to Dissolved Oxygen ( DO ) or Dissolved Organic Compound ( DOC ) ??

A normal oxygen concentrator with a production of 10LPM pure oxygen , normally comes with quite low PSI ( 15-20 ), and this makes it a little difficult for ceremic diffusser to be used , as the back pressure is too low to push the air out of these fine diffuser . We would normally recommend better air stones that produce "finer bubbles" , which is good enough for the Oxygen Concentrator set . Hope this help .

David

Quote Originally Posted by DavidSoon View Post
    Good Day Brother Handy ,

Are you refering to Dissolved Oxygen ( DO ) or Dissolved Organic Compound ( DOC ) ??

A normal oxygen concentrator with a production of 10LPM pure oxygen , normally comes with quite low PSI ( 15-20 ), and this makes it a little difficult for ceremic diffusser to be used , as the back pressure is too low to push the air out of these fine diffuser . We would normally recommend better air stones that produce "finer bubbles" , which is good enough for the Oxygen Concentrator set . Hope this help .

David
    Bro David,

What I mean is Dissolved Oxygen.

Yes, I reckon that the normal oxygen concentrator (OC) pressure isn't strong enough. I had a little discussion with Felix concerning how to blend the oxygen at the best rate using other device.

It's been said, the O2 bubble from the OC is release on the bottom of, let's say, a tube. Naturally, the O2 bubbble would rise to the top. Insiide the tube, the are some numbers of blender strip that has water inlet from top do the bottom as the reeverse way as the O2 bubble. The bulbble has to stay as long as it can be in the blender strip to let the particle divided and mixed with the water. So now I'm curious that kind of equipment that could mix or lend the O2 with the water at the best performance.

Quote Originally Posted by monscine View Post
    Bro David,

What I mean is Dissolved Oxygen.

Yes, I reckon that the normal oxygen concentrator (OC) pressure isn't strong enough. I had a little discussion with Felix concerning how to blend the oxygen at the best rate using other device.

It's been said, the O2 bubble from the OC is release on the bottom of, let's say, a tube. Naturally, the O2 bubbble would rise to the top. Insiide the tube, the are some numbers of blender strip that has water inlet from top do the bottom as the reeverse way as the O2 bubble. The bulbble has to stay as long as it can be in the blender strip to let the particle divided and mixed with the water. So now I'm curious that kind of equipment that could mix or lend the O2 with the water at the best performance.
    Yes , Brother Handy

We can also inject Oxygen into "cylindrical vortexes" and " nano spray bar " through pin-valves , which i tried on my ponds years back , but the effect is not as efficient as having the produced volumn to be transfer to the main water column directly through direct release with aeration stones . I used to keep some of these old photos in my old computer that crushed and all project photos simply disappear with the mother board .

Hope others here can suggest otherwise ...

David

Tategoi
    Just a quick note of caution......

While I do not know the complete details of the set-up being described, I can imagine someone trying to use an air pump to "boost" the pressure in order to feed medical oxygen into their pond via airstones. I would advise one to be very careful in this regard......an atmosphere of increased oxygen vastly raises the flammability of the the materials present, and typical pond/aquarium air pumps are not intrinsically-safe for use in potentially flammable atmospheres.

Daihonmei
    Yep, a well known technique practiced for many years by some of the greats Sakai ( SFF) on the big girls in some of his best indoor grow outs. He still holds the record for wins ( or does Dainichi now?)
    You will notice that all who use this technique release the oxygen at great depths ( 10 feet). It is also not continuous as it gets expensive!
    I do the same with CO2 in a large planted tank ( liquid CO2) and it is not long lasting!
    Seeing the oxygen bursts first hand at some of these koi Facilities in Japan, is impressive as it flows to the surface!
    In warm water this is probably not a bad idea, as normal oxygen saturation levels are so low.-- just an expensive idea. JR

Quote Originally Posted by JasPR View Post
    Yep, a well known technique practiced for many years by some of the greats Sakai ( SFF) on the big girls in some of his best indoor grow outs. He still holds the record for wins ( or does Dainichi now?)
    You will notice that all who use this technique release the oxygen at great depths ( 10 feet). It is also not continuous as it gets expensive!
    I do the same with CO2 in a large planted tank ( liquid CO2) and it is not long lasting!
    Seeing the oxygen bursts first hand at some of these koi Facilities in Japan, is impressive as it flows to the surface!
    In warm water this is probably not a bad idea, as normal oxygen saturation levels are so low.-- just an expensive idea. JR
    Yes, a tank of oxygen hooked up to an air stone does not last very long.

Daihonmei
    Quote Originally Posted by ricshaw View Post
    Yes, a tank of oxygen hooked up to an air stone does not last very long.
    They have them set up on a timer and you see a blast from them every three to five minutes or so. I have a video of them from back in the 1990s and also photos of a set of them taken in 2004- 2006. I'll see what I can come up with---- JR

Airsep NewLife Intensity 10lpm SF + OM LTOT oxygen concentrator | Pure O2

I think Bro Handy is talking about the above oxygen concentrator. It is not about releasing oxygen from the oxygen cylinder. I guess the oxygen from the OC (oxygen concentrator) are not that dangerous.

Which is the best place to put the air stone, in the pond or 1st filter chamber or the pump chamber.

Daihonmei
    A TT ( trickle tower) is the best way to introduce oxygen saturation into the water.

oxygen in water is a function of many things. IN LIVING water, oxygen is at a premium! Not only is it being consumed as an ordinary and necessary ingreient of cell respiration, it is also being consumed by reductive activity.

In normal/natural conditions, oxygen enters the water from the surface. This thin layer of water/atmosphere can be looked at as the pond's skin layer. And this is also where two other things happen-- where the 'undesirable and bad' gases leave the water and where Dissolved organics collect.
    Temperature also has a tremendous effect on the amount of oxygen that can be held in the water column. generally speaking, the warmer the water, the less the oxygen levels-- and this comes into a head on collision with the hobbyist that overfeeds in summer and the macho keeper looking to put great size on koi in warm water.

You can ;
    1) add air stones
    2) add venturi ( deep water)
    3) add pure oxygen
    4) paddle water
    5) drop water from a waterfall

- OR-
    You can add a TT. A tall TT allows water to flow over plastic media in extremely thin sheets ( if done well). Ideally only a mm thick or less. Slow and constant, minute to minute, hour to hour, day to day, week to week, month to month, year to year!
    This has two effects on water- 1) it brings oxygen saturation to maximum for temperature and 2) it allows undesirable gaes to escape.

In short- a TT can double or triple you pond's SURFACE skin. This is huge! Because if at the end of the day we can only get oxygen in and bad gases out at the surface skin of water- then the more surface skin you have the better that action. Nuff said. JR

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast