Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Time Experience

Nisai

First Time Experience

Since the first day of my into this hobby, my joy comes from learning and watching how a tosai develop and change over time in my care.

This year is my first time with Asagi and Akame Kigoi. Pics attached.
    Asagi is from Oya, approx 16cm-18cm in size.
    Akame Kigoi is from Marudo, approx 20cm-22cm in size. One of the fish already develop two of what seems to be small hi spots after two weeks in my pond, it is the fish with the palest yellow color. I did feed a small amount of color feed for a few days.

Any feedback is very much welcome.

rgds
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails First Time Experience-oya-asagi-tosai.jpg   First Time Experience-marudo-akame-kigoi-tosai.jpg  

Nisai
    Last year is my first time with Izumiya Yamabuki Ogon. Out of 2 that I bought (pics attached, they were around 14-16cm), after sometime one developed a hi spot that eventually getting smaller and faded but not completely gone.

Last year is also my first time with Platinum Ogon, Ginrin Platinum Ogon to be exact, from Choguro (pics attached, they were around 14-16cm), also Ochiba Sigure, from Yamazaki (pics attached, they were around 12-15cm). Two of the ochiba lost some of their pattern after perhaps a stressful quaratine process for them, but they still look very much like an Ochiba

All the above fishes are still in my pond now. Growth is not really good since I only feed sparringly due to my pond is over populated. Will post latest picture when I have time.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails First Time Experience-pair-1.jpg   First Time Experience-pair-2-ogon.jpg   First Time Experience-pair-2-platinum.jpg   First Time Experience-ochiba1.jpg   First Time Experience-ochiba2.jpg  

First Time Experience-ochiba3.jpg  

Nisai
    In addition to the above, last year was also my first time with Kin Ki Utsuri, from Tsuna. They were around 16cm-18cm when acquired, and very much bright metallic yellow in color. After sometime, their color turn to light orange or whatever, but definitely not yellow anymore. They're still in my pond now.

Also my first time with Midorigoi which as far as I know rarely brought into Indonesia by any dealer. I acquired 3 Midorigoi, they're from Tazawa and around 14cm-16cm. Midorigoi Nr.1 is still in my pond, Nr.2 & 3 had been given away to a friend due to their poor growth. Nr.2 grew to 29cm after approx. 12 months in my care, Nr.3 grew to 32cm. It's not totally their fault, I can not feed a lot due to over population in my pond

All pictures are taken by the time the fishes first arrive in my home.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails First Time Experience-kin-ki-utsuri.jpg   First Time Experience-midorigoi1.jpg   First Time Experience-midorigoi2.jpg   First Time Experience-midorigoi3.jpg  

looks like your quite the collector. I think a very normal beginner's place to be.
    It takes time to sort things out like color variety favorites, filtration verses stocking,etc.

many of the varieties you've selected tend to develop better without the use of color food.

I think over the decades of collection myself, 3 varieties i have a weak spot for

Red eyed yellows, matsukawabake, and asagi.

My newest fascination is with a pearl scale gin rin bekko

always happy to hear from an enthusiastic koi kichi.

Daihonmei
    Quote Originally Posted by koilvr View Post
    Since the first day of my into this hobby, my joy comes from learning and watching how a tosai develop and change over time in my care.

This year is my first time with Asagi and Akame Kigoi. Pics attached.
    Asagi is from Oya, approx 16cm-18cm in size.
    Akame Kigoi is from Marudo, approx 20cm-22cm in size. One of the fish already develop two of what seems to be small hi spots after two weeks in my pond, it is the fish with the palest yellow color. I did feed a small amount of color feed for a few days.

Any feedback is very much welcome.

rgds
    Hi koilover, your akame kigoi are true albino specimens. Albino in this case meaning unable to produce the color black but able to produce other colors like red/pink and yellow. The deeper color spots are normal and just what color the fish carries.
    Here is a picture of an 'akame' boa constrictor with exactly the same genetic mutation as your akame kigoi----- JR

Nisai
    Quote Originally Posted by dick benbow View Post
    looks like your quite the collector. I think a very normal beginner's place to be.
    It takes time to sort things out like color variety favorites, filtration verses stocking,etc.

many of the varieties you've selected tend to develop better without the use of color food.

I think over the decades of collection myself, 3 varieties i have a weak spot for

Red eyed yellows, matsukawabake, and asagi.

My newest fascination is with a pearl scale gin rin bekko

always happy to hear from an enthusiastic koi kichi.
    Dick, my way of selecting the asagi is very much influenced by those many posts and write-ups you made since I joijn this forum many years ago. Not many share their asagi stories, I guess simply because not many keep them and prefer gosanke instead.

Regarding our collection, my personal opinion is we are somewhat dictated by our dealers who are also dictated by Ryuki Narita and off-course the breeders in the end. For mass market, we can only purchase the variety that the dealer bring in. It's a totally different game if you are a high-end player. These fishes that I acquired are USD 100 - 150 tosai, this is the league I choose to play in.

While practically all dealers bring in gosanke every year, some not so popular variety sometime are brought in. If you do not buy it then, they may not available next year and even the year after, and you are not getting any younger

My weak spot is actually shiro utsuri, but since last year I would like to study yellow kois simply because many yellow varieties are brought into the country.

Nisai
    Quote Originally Posted by JasPR View Post
    Hi koilover, your akame kigoi are true albino specimens. Albino in this case meaning unable to produce the color black but able to produce other colors like red/pink and yellow. The deeper color spots are normal and just what color the fish carries.
    Here is a picture of an 'akame' boa constrictor with exactly the same genetic mutation as your akame kigoi----- JR

JR, I notice that one of my akame actually develop one tiny black spot (shimi?). I assume this will dissapear by time?

It is a fantastic snake!

Daihonmei
    well that IS interesting since an albino koi has no ability to produce the color black ( melanin) as evidenced by its pink eyes. If the eye is pink then even the differentiated cells behind the eye are lacking in sumi. So I would suspect that the shimi you see is in the epidermis and that you will be able to scrap it off with your finger nail. See if that is possible. This could be a learning moment! JR

Nisai
    Quote Originally Posted by JasPR View Post
    well that IS interesting since an albino koi has no ability to produce the color black ( melanin) as evidenced by its pink eyes. If the eye is pink then even the differentiated cells behind the eye are lacking in sumi. So I would suspect that the shimi you see is in the epidermis and that you will be able to scrap it off with your finger nail. See if that is possible. This could be a learning moment! JR
    I have not had a chance to catch the fish, I'm very bad in using the net and the process bear a high risk of injury due to the small size of pond and an overcrowding condition. At a glance, I'm quite confident it is at the epidermis level like you mention. The two pink dots on the other akame is different, it looks to sit on a deeper skin level. Just a rough observation by me.

This development of shimis, I suspect have more to do with water chemistry. Perhaps water hardness, and also salt level. These are the two parameters that quite recently change in my pond.

I expect that on closer examination you will find the dot is not actually black, but only looks like a shimmy from a distance.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast