Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: Rate my Showa please

Rate my Showa please

Hello All, This is a Female Showa born in 2009 from Otsuka in Niigata. She is about 23 inches now. I would love some feedback and any tips on keeping her going in the right direction. Thanks.....Jamey.....The pic of the showa is my avitar since i had already posted this pic before.

Quote Originally Posted by jamey View Post
    Hello All, This is a Female Showa born in 2009 from Otsuka in Niigata. She is about 23 inches now. I would love some feedback and any tips on keeping her going in the right direction. Thanks.....Jamey.....The pic of the showa is my avitar since i had already posted this pic before.
    Do you have a bigger pic of the Showa? Can not assess the quality with such a small pic.

Pink Scales

Towards the end section of the koi by the last hi step there is the pink scales that would be my big concern because that is considered a fault when judging a koi. Also the lack of sumi on the latter half of the showa is missing critical sumi to balance out the whole pattern. How old is the koi?

Maintaining excellent water is the 'tip' for any koi.

I am not familiar with Otsuka Showa, so I do not have much I can say about predicting the future of this one. The current 'messiness' of the Beni ...stray areas of pink, weak area by the dorsal (her left side) ...may just be pigment in the process of developing. However, I tend to think these are signs of weakness. That may not be bad in the short run if it results in these areas cleaning up without the main pattern areas declining. I cannot determine sumi quality from the photo. My sense is that it is strong, but not the high gloss Sanke-type Sumi. It is still developing. The body provides a good canvas for an attractive overall pattern, which will improve if the hints of Sumi toward the rear develop to balance the sumi on the front half of the fish. Altogether, an attractive Showa that has that wonderful samurai warrior-look that makes Showa so appealing.

I suspect your water has high alkalinity, which would be good for Sumi development, but some think it is not so good for Hi. I am not so sure about that, but do believe nitrogeneous waste build-up is more damaging in high alkalinity. So, I think it important to keep nitrate levels as low as you can.

Daihonmei
    Quote Originally Posted by jamey View Post
    jamey, this fish is fundamentally a fish of a good grade. It shows all the traits of a high class fish in its bone structure and bodyline as well as how the PLATE pattern is laid out on the fish-- all signs of good genetics. The not-so-good news is in the finish of this fish. It seems to have the 'goods' to be a strong pattern, yet the fish is showing a weaking in either finish or true quality of color cells. I also notice that the luster is low and the texture is rough on this otherwise healthy looking fish. Now even as a senior judge who has judged 70 plus koi shows and at least 12,000 fish and ranked each and every one, I can't tell you if this fish will improve or continue a decline as I don't know what it looked like last season-- so I can't comment on a trend I have no idea about. I can only guess based on experience with that look your koi has.
    I can tell you that your showa's issues might be down to water quality. It is not easy to take good genetics to 'finish'. many koi never make it to their genetic potential and others are ruined by water conditions and feeding practices. And that is the challenge of the hobby. Work on the conditions and make sure they are the best for finishing koi well. Then the rest is up to the fish! Lots of stable clean water, low stress and parameters that are ideal. Then feeding technique to bring out luster. This fish may never finish right in a small pond, but at the very least it will look a lot better if you can get the luster up. The texture and lack of shine is making the unfinished condition look worse than it is. All and all, nice showa and one I would not give up on for at least another year or two. Best of luck, JR

thank you

Thank you all for your great insight. I am just in the begining stages of learning. She is about three years old now. I am in the process of building her a new 7500 gallon concrete and block pond that is six feet deep. should be done in a month. And yes our water does have high alkalinity. Thanks again for your thoughts.