Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Protein feeds - constant or variable?

Is that so?

Sansai
    So Jaspr, you say
    "So to bring this all home-- you can feed a high protein food in high growth season. It is well tolerated and does what it is supposed to do-- allow for the building of cells. But if the water is too cool or too warm, the feeding of high protein will be counter productive in the sense that a percentage will be dumped into the water column of a CLOSED SYSTEM. and the water quality will suffer"
    which makes perfect sense.

Is that all there is to it then? When I see people referring to feeding high protein for 3 weeks then a week on Wheatgerm, it's mainly about maintaining water quality when the koi aren't in a place to digest it properly because the water is too hot or cold.

Although your argument certainly makes sense, I suspect that others are doing things for other reasons but not rushing to explain their thinking about it.
    Thanks for your patience.

Quote Originally Posted by pondlife View Post
    Is that all there is to it then? When I see people referring to feeding high protein for 3 weeks then a week on Wheatgerm, it's mainly about maintaining water quality when the koi aren't in a place to digest it properly because the water is too hot or cold.
    The truth is most people feed the same Koi food pellets year around (when they feed).

Many add supplement food items. Many mix different pellet food. Very few follow some strict regimen like "feeding high protein for 3 weeks then a week on Wheatgerm".

MCA
    What you can feed (protein levels) and for how long without messing up the water quality is greatly influenced by the stocking levels, filtration levels, aeration levels (hopefully DO always near saturation), water temp, and water change routines. In that regards there is no canned answer that works uniformly for all ponds.

Become a empirical koi keeper. Observe and measure what does, and what does not, work well for your individual pond system. Tools like water quality test kits and even TDS or ORP meters are inexpensive compared to the overall cost of this hobby.

Sansai
    MCA,
    I like that term
    "empirical koi keeper."
    As you say you take what works for you eg I find TDS very useful, and reject other things. Certainly high protein is much more demanding on water.
    Perhaps I need to invest in some wheatgerm

MCA
    Saki Hikari Wheatgerm is my year long staple food. In the spring I start to mix in some Coldwater Creek Gold and end up with just the Gold by mid summer. Of course in mid summer in the South you have to watch the water quality like a hawk for low DO and high DOC. When in doubt, feed less.

Sansai
    Here in the UK we dream of worrying about low DO.
    If it's not freezing cold and raining then it soon will be.

I've got some Hikari wheatgerm on order, so I'm interested to hear that you rate it.

MCA
    Down in the South of the States we get a great laugh when we hear of folks in the UK heating their ponds.....in the summer. Hey, we all have to do what we need to do to take care of the koi.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123