Home | About Us | Contact Us


Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: What things do KOI hate? is coper sulfate bad

  1. #1
    Tosai
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Indiana USA
    Posts
    10

    What things do KOI hate? is coper sulfate bad

    I have some 2 inch Koi in a mud pond an they were eatting March 1st but a few died an i was thinking maybe a gill bacteria bothered them so I put in a small amount of copper sulfate. Now they are not eatting an I do not see them. I did run a net in the pond and catch 3 which showed no marks or anything wrong but were not super active in the cold water yet. There are some small redear sportfish in there 2. What things do koi hate in the water? I do not want them to die. When will they start to feed very active so I know they are alive. It will be 70 F today when I got them March 1 the water was 42 F water temp

  2. #2
    Daihonmei
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    7,642
    Copper is not good for koi. To be safe, anything with the word copper in it ( even 'bound' versions) should be avoided in favor of other remedies. If you mud pond is going bad, I'd get them out and treat them as individuals. Treating ponds with other than dimilin ( for shelled parasites) isn't a great idea. And although I don't favor medicated koi foods as there are so mnay better- more effective ways, I would use medicated food in a pond setting as a response to bacteria. I'd cut back on feeding ( especially if you have rain fall) and maybe introduce a freshwater source for a few days( same temperature and pH). JR

    P.S. a mud pond should not have fallen leaves in it!

  3. #3
    Tosai
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Indiana USA
    Posts
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by JasPR View Post
    Copper is not good for koi. To be safe, anything with the word copper in it ( even 'bound' versions) should be avoided in favor of other remedies. If you mud pond is going bad, I'd get them out and treat them as individuals. Treating ponds with other than dimilin ( for shelled parasites) isn't a great idea. And although I don't favor medicated koi foods as there are so mnay better- more effective ways, I would use medicated food in a pond setting as a response to bacteria. I'd cut back on feeding ( especially if you have rain fall) and maybe introduce a freshwater source for a few days( same temperature and pH). JR

    P.S. a mud pond should not have fallen leaves in it!

    The pond has now 3 or 4 ppm Parts per million of copper sulfate ( sort of guess ) what ppm can koi take b4 bad affects or kill them ? They are 2 inch solid yellow koi Japanese name OLD YELLER an I really do not want to lose them. The mud pond is 2 acres and has a 1 inch fresh water going in but I do now see koi at in coming water either I put in a cup of copper sulfate. its 8 foot to 3 foot deep.

  4. #4
    Jumbo jnorth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    3,159
    Old Yeller is a dog. Yamabuki is what solid yellow koi are called . Hopefully that copper won't kill them.
    Koi-Unit
    My personal koi page Updated 7/8/07
    ZNA Potomac Koi Club

  5. #5
    Tosai
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Indiana USA
    Posts
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by jnorth View Post
    Old Yeller is a dog. Yamabuki is what solid yellow koi are called . Hopefully that copper won't kill them.
    in 2011 i saw a man put 10 koi 4 inch long in a 1 acre mud pond and in 4 months the koi were 15 inch long. So I wanted try it 2 an rented a 2 acre pond from relation, just small fish in it --- i got some koi an put them in last of feb 2012. I got OVER excited and fed 2 much the first 3 days, OK I gave them 120 pounds of koi food, ( 5 million gals water I wanted them to find the food ) then they stopped eatting until today March 13 an went back to hunt food--so the copper did not kill them They are growing 1/4 inch per week. I will have to get over a 1/2 inch a week growth to do as good as the other man I saw his koi do last year. Its a SIZE experiment. Maybe 6 inch Koi grow faster ? I spent $8000 on this project so far and if a 100 koi get BIG i will sell them for $50 each get part my money back. I had money in FEB now i dont----- I will keep a few Yamabuki for me ha

  6. #6
    Honmei ricshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    2,653
    Quote Originally Posted by niceguy333 View Post
    in 2011 i saw a man put 10 koi 4 inch long in a 1 acre mud pond and in 4 months the koi were 15 inch long. So I wanted try it 2 an rented a 2 acre pond from relation, just small fish in it --- i got some koi an put them in last of feb 2012. I got OVER excited and fed 2 much the first 3 days, OK I gave them 120 pounds of koi food, ( 5 million gals water I wanted them to find the food ) then they stopped eatting until today March 13 an went back to hunt food--so the copper did not kill them They are growing 1/4 inch per week. I will have to get over a 1/2 inch a week growth to do as good as the other man I saw his koi do last year. Its a SIZE experiment. Maybe 6 inch Koi grow faster ? I spent $8000 on this project so far and if a 100 koi get BIG i will sell them for $50 each get part my money back. I had money in FEB now i dont----- I will keep a few Yamabuki for me ha
    Boy! This story is going from bad to worst! But, I guess you have to learn somehow. Too bad the first part of the lesson had to cost you so much.

    Thank you for sharing your experience on this project. Let us know how it turns out.

  7. #7
    MCA
    MCA is offline
    Honmei MCA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    2,574
    This reminds of the classic joke in the hobby...

    How do you make a small fortune in koi keeping?

    Start with a large one.



    Pond are holes into which we all throw money.

  8. #8
    Sansai
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    158
    Niceguy,
    now I'm really intrigued.
    So you "got OVER excited and fed 2 much the first 3 days, OK I gave them 120 pounds of koi food"
    Just how many 2inch koi do you have that you are feeding them 40lbs of food per day?

Similar Threads

  1. Things a koi will NOT eat....
    By Fishbreeder in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 02-23-2011, 04:47 PM
  2. the good, the bad, and the future of this koi?
    By azngopher in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 09-09-2010, 12:57 AM
  3. Bought a koi with a bad fin
    By koikiller in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 01-30-2007, 11:32 AM
  4. When a koi goes bad
    By jnorth in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-04-2007, 08:01 PM
  5. More koi shows, good or bad?
    By aquitori in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-22-2006, 04:46 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Articles - Sitemap - FAQs and Rules

KB Footer Graphic
Straight from Japan... For the serious hobbyist!
All content and images copyright of: Koi-bito.com