Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bass or Perch in a koi mud pond

Bass or Perch in a koi mud pond

Will Bass or Perch pick on koi?

I just had a spawn in my mud pond and I don't want any more babies. Can I put a couple of Bass or Perch in there to eat the small ones or will they pick on my big girls?

At least I know who the male is now.

I'm not going to suggest I'm right, But I always have 3 or 4 Bass around 8" to 10" in the Mud Pond.

Two years ago the Mud Pond was over run with Frogs because I didn't place Bass in the Mud Pond until Mid-Summer. Things were just out of balance.

If your placing Tosai in the Mud Pond then you could have a problem, but I don't see it with larger Koi.

Agree with Troy in so much as I think the size of the preditors companions have to do with what is consumed. I'd trust bass before perch

Thanks, Troy and Dick.

I know the Big Mouth Bass will take care of them, I just didn't want my big girls to have chunks missing out of their tails or fins.

MCA
    The problem is that the bass will continue to grow. So years from now don't put any size 1-2 or smaller koi into that pond that you want to survive.

How big to Big Mouth Bass get? I'm not planning on putting anything in there under 16". If I do, I know I'll have to get them out.

MCA
    The record for big mouth bass used to be around 23 pounds as I remember. Back when I live in TX and bass fished alot, it was easy to find 5 pounders and in lakes like Lake Fork...not impossible to find them well over 10 pounds. The warmer the lake...the greater the chance of large bass ...provided there is food.

Quote Originally Posted by kntry View Post
    How big to Big Mouth Bass get? I'm not planning on putting anything in there under 16". If I do, I know I'll have to get them out.
    The other question is how big a Koi will fit in a Big Mouth Bass mouth?

Is a 16" Koi safe from an adult Big Mouth Bass?

I remember a former Koi club friend, who on return from vacation, found that his Koi's fins did not look good. After a couple days he found out that his teenage son had caught and released a bass into the Koi pond while he was away. He said he did not see the bass, because it was good at hiding, until his son informed him of what he had done.

I've been told they can eat anything their size and smaller, even to part of the fish hanging out of their mouth.

I'm going to have to do more research before I do this.

MCA
    The largemouth bass is the largest of its family and is common in many bodies of water in the southeastern United States. In the northern portion of its territory, it prefers smaller lakes and ponds. Largemouth bass are very aggressive fish and will strike at nearly anything they consider alive; anglers tell stories of them taking small birds, rodents, and even baby alligators

Largemouth bass - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Don't doubt it for a minute. Again, it has to do with the size/appetite of the bass versus the size and availability of the prey.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast