Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sakai FF - March 22nd, 2012 Auction

Daihonmei
    Quote Originally Posted by HEADACHE6 View Post
    The Nisai that caught my Eye.

Interesting for sure. But could you and David please comment on the kiwa as it appears on this kois shoulder plate? JR

Nisai or sansai is just a dream for me - so trying a small tosai in hoping to bring home this little baby. What do you guys think about this Nr. 150?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sakai FF - March 22nd, 2012 Auction-sff-150.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by HEADACHE6 View Post
    So my $500 limit I gave Devin isn't going to Cut It ?
    Trust me Brother Troy

Anything below 750,000 Yen for this Kohaku , I will re-direct the shipment to your pond ..... . I have put a much higher bid for this fish though .... Don't think it would be easy for me either ...

David

Quote Originally Posted by JasPR View Post
    Interesting for sure. But could you and David please comment on the kiwa as it appears on this kois shoulder plate? JR

Good Day Brother JR

Sakai FF - March 22nd, 2012 Auction-sakai-neo-universe-2.jpg

Believe the circled area was of some concern . This supposingly sandan Kohaku will end up being a nidan as she grow , unless the unorthodox cut separate the hi-ban and 2nd step , which I will most likely do so if this kohaku lands here ... . I know surgical alteration is not popular or encouraged among the State's hobbyists , but the truth about most nisai in the Sakai FF auctions can be a discouraging fact , as most of these nisais had been surgically repaired ( patterns ) since they were a few inches long . Not a top-notch kohaku , but can still be an expensive kohaku for this auction . Had my dealer Max Ng to confirm my suspicion this morning , but the bodyline and beni is just good enough for a try ... not so much on pattern ..

David

Quote Originally Posted by dinh View Post
    Nisai or sansai is just a dream for me - so trying a small tosai in hoping to bring home this little baby. What do you guys think about this Nr. 150?
    Brother Dinh, that is one heck of a nice tosai. The only thing that concerns me is the male-like characteristic of this fish. One thing I noticed is that these tosai are only around 15-20cm. Are these fall 2011 spawns? Because they are quite small if they are spring 2011 spawn.

Edit: male-like because (1) pectoral fin size and shape and (2) intense beni.
    Last edited by Lam Nguyen; 03-21-2012 at 01:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidSoon View Post
    Good Day Brother JR

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sakai Neo Universe 2.jpg 
Views:	1438 
Size:	20.7 KB 
ID:	35276

Believe the circled area was of some concern . This supposingly sandan Kohaku will end up being a nidan as she grow , unless the unorthodox cut separate the hi-ban and 2nd step , which I will most likely do so if this kohaku lands here ... . I know surgical alteration is not popular or encouraged among the State's hobbyists , but the truth about most nisai in the Sakai FF auctions can be a discouraging fact , as most of these nisais had been surgically repaired ( patterns ) since they were a few inches long . Not a top-notch kohaku , but can still be an expensive kohaku for this auction . Had my dealer Max Ng to confirm my suspicion this morning , but the bodyline and beni is just good enough for a try ... not so much on pattern ..

David
    Thanks for your comment on the surgical intervention on this kohaku. The thought of potential surgical intervention also crossed my mind when I saw this kohaku so it's nice to know that it can be done on such a beautiful bodied kohaku.

Brother David, if I may, how would one surgically remove beni to make this a sandan? Just curious is all and I would totally understand if you don't want to share.

Quote Originally Posted by Lam Nguyen View Post
    Thanks for your comment on the surgical intervention on this kohaku. The thought of potential surgical intervention also crossed my mind when I saw this kohaku so it's nice to know that it can be done on such a beautiful bodied kohaku.

Brother David, if I may, how would one surgically remove beni to make this a sandan? Just curious is all and I would totally understand if you don't want to share.
    Brother Lam

Sakai FF - March 22nd, 2012 Auction-sakai-neo-universe-cutted-pattern.jpg

Normally , we remove a couple of scales to enable a neat cut or just to reach to the deeper flesh if the beni is deep set , and it would normally heal in 6 months to a year for a few millimeter deep cut , but in some cases the beni "return" , and this is where we would leave the fish alone unless a second cut is approporiate . Judgement call .

This is just a simple nidan/sandan kohaku , and hardly a beautiful or outstanding fish but still can be a good pond keep .

David

More 'rookie' questions, if I may.

Are the JT sexed? If so, then are they specified. If they are not then are dealers allowed to attempt to sex them at the auction?

Do these koi come with certificates?

And I totally agree with MikeM that koi of this caliber should have a short video clip to tell us more about the movement of the koi. In fact, this should be the standard for koi critique since videos can convey much more than pictures. Obviously nothing beats seeing a koi in person.

Quote Originally Posted by Lam Nguyen View Post
    More 'rookie' questions, if I may.

Are the JT sexed? If so, then are they specified. If they are not then are dealers allowed to attempt to sex them at the auction?

Do these koi come with certificates?

And I totally agree with MikeM that koi of this caliber should have a short video clip to tell us more about the movement of the koi. In fact, this should be the standard for koi critique since videos can convey much more than pictures. Obviously nothing beats seeing a koi in person.
    Some JT are sexed , while some are not , but if those that were gauranteed female and turned out male , normally a replacement is arranged . All the fishes for the Sakai auction , come with certificate . This morning was the selection day sales where some of the tosais and JT Males were auctioned this morning (For dealers only - not those in the auction pages ) . Some of the JT males were auctioned off above 400,000 Yen ..... sounds crazy .. but this is what that happened in Sakai auction scene this morning .

Quote Originally Posted by DavidSoon View Post
    Brother Lam

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sakai Neo Universe - cutted pattern.jpg 
Views:	245 
Size:	20.3 KB 
ID:	35277

Normally , we remove a couple of scales to enable a neat cut or just to reach to the deeper flesh if the beni is deep set , and it would normally heal in 6 months to a year for a few millimeter deep cut , but in some cases the beni "return" , and this is where we would leave the fish alone unless a second cut is approporiate . Judgement call .

This is just a simple nidan/sandan kohaku , and hardly a beautiful or outstanding fish but still can be a good pond keep .

David
    Thank you for the explanation as always, Brother David. Going to have to try this myself sometimes in the near future. Clearly you and I are worlds apart in our koi knowledge. When I look at this kohaku I see a lot of potential in body development and skin quality. Obviously I would like to see a cleaner cut between hiban and second step and a little bit of a deeper wrap on my kohakus. But this koi's quality is amazing and will fetch a high price for sure. LOVE that body! But obviously these are just my 'rookie' assessment........
    Last edited by Lam Nguyen; 03-21-2012 at 02:18 PM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast