Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: Torazo Kohaku Judging

Torazo Kohaku Judging

I was wondering if anyone can help me pick out the pros and cons of these Torazo's kohakus because I am debating which one I should. The first one is 20 inches and the second is 19 inches. Thanks for ur feedback!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Torazo Kohaku Judging-torazo1.jpg   Torazo Kohaku Judging-torazo2.jpg  

Tosai
    The second Kohaku remind me so much of my own Torazo Kohaku. Torazo Koi
    In this case of yours, I would like to go for the second Kohaku (the one on the right).
    Although tail stop (odome) and beni on the head hits the right eye, I just have a feeling the beni quality is better than the other.
    It's just my personal opinion.

Sansai
    Personally I much prefer the first left hand fish. Better body shape and much more pleasing distribution of Beni.
    I am however a total beginner about koi appreciation - so feel free to ignore me.
    But I do know what I like

The different camera angles affect how the bodies are perceived. The two seem quite alike in body form and are at the same stage of development. The one on the right appears to have more even Beni, but that could be the lighting. The red on the eye of the one on the right is a negative for me. Altogether, I'd select the one on the right based on these photos alone, but really would want to see in person.

Daihonmei
    So Torazo no longer makes torazo sanke! And the kohaku are different lines from other folks. He is as VERY gifted breeder just as his father was. Thats for sure. But as he son will share with you, he uses others lines now and puts his own mark on the past few generations of koi that come from his efforts.
    Once upon a time, it is said that there were between 3000-4000 koi breeders in Japan. Today I doubt there are 500? The variety production has become slower in general and the great system of introducing enough traits to call it its own variety has to to a near halt.
    So it is now very natural that in gosanke, the main breeders introduce traits from others but the pool of variation is every shrinking.
    Try and think of gosanke this way--- not in breeder names but rather in the variation in kohkau traits;

1) you have about three main body types
    2) you have about six color tones
    3) you have about three skin types and then grades of these three
    4) you have two types of beni development and then grades of that development.

The breeders will work with these variables and add what they desire -- but NOT in unlimited combinations. The reason for this is many of these traits I listed as linked to one another. JR

Thanks!!

Thanks for all of ur replies but my guts are telling me to go for the first one!!

I like the first Kohak hands down...

Daihonmei
    The first fish as a bigger head and so appears to have a larger bone structure. But this is the problem with photos, depending on the angle the fish can appear 'bigger' and more imposing or smaller. So the first picture is front on in its focus and the second is slightly downward.
    The beni is the thing! The beni ( if the flash is not making for an illusion) is not as uniform in content and 'travel' as the second fish and also a bit thinner. So lighter does not always mean 'tategoi' or future. In otherwords, 'future' means unknown and unknow is not menaing 'tategoi'.

Uniformity in beni is the goal. You want to see beni as 'plates' that make up the entire pattern. each plate should be coming along at the same rate as the rest. And all catching up with the head color tone over time. That is a tricky thing. Look for thinness, areas that are congested and uneven. This 'could' be a condition and not a statement, but that is a form of a gamble. In the end, the fish on the right is probably a little more finished -- but a very nice finish ( perhaps 70% done).
    The good lesson here with these two fish is that they exactly the same beni type. So it is easier to see the difference. JR