Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Pot perm and pro pot perm

Nisai
    Quote Originally Posted by Eugeneg View Post
    Two hr is not long enough but it is better to be safe than sorry and I prefer that , the same dosage in a few days time will probably see a purple color lasting up to 8hr. I would be concerned about extra flashing during treatment and have no idea why. Did the fish come to the top for air?
    You have not mentioned any other signs such as reddnes on fins or scales.
    Remember a big water change at least 50% after first treatment as you will have a lot of dead algae.
    I wonder if treatments shorten the lives of fish and only do when absolutely necessary.
    Regards
    Eugene
    1fish has some redness on his fins and a couple have a few scales up can see red in. They never came to the top during treatment.

Quote Originally Posted by 300wby View Post
    1fish has some redness on his fins and a couple have a few scales up can see red in. They never came to the top during treatment.
    Then just make sure of gradual addition and aeration. PP a far better choice than salt based on fish condition.
    To answer question by JR who is by far more knowledgeable :
    I asked the time duration question when I took a course with Dr Johnson and he told me that he suggested 12hr treatment based on studies done.
    On page 98 of his book are 11 References to the studies. He claimed that shorter times would not kill all the parasites.
    However I am happy with a couple of treatments the first that lasts up to 4hr and the next one in a few days with a reduced dosage of 5hr.
    The fact is that only about 1% of ponds built are koi ponds yet everyone with a pond puts koi in it. Of the 1% few have microscopes or meters.
    You made a good decision to treat quickly in your circumstances. A microscope and a meter would be a help down the road.
    Regards
    Eugene

Nisai
    Quote Originally Posted by Eugeneg View Post
    Then just make sure of gradual addition and aeration. PP a far better choice than salt based on fish condition.
    To answer question by JR who is by far more knowledgeable :
    I asked the time duration question when I took a course with Dr Johnson and he told me that he suggested 12hr treatment based on studies done.
    On page 98 of his book are 11 References to the studies. He claimed that shorter times would not kill all the parasites.
    However I am happy with a couple of treatments the first that lasts up to 4hr and the next one in a few days with a reduced dosage of 5hr.
    The fact is that only about 1% of ponds built are koi ponds yet everyone with a pond puts koi in it. Of the 1% few have microscopes or meters.
    You made a good decision to treat quickly in your circumstances. A microscope and a meter would be a help down the road.
    Regards
    Eugene
    Thanks with the condition of the koi I figured I better do a couple pp treatments because the prazi won't be here for about another week. I will get a microscope. And a meter. I got a good gram scale a couple days ago. Is it the flukes that cause the fed on the scales or some other parasite?

Nisai
    I thought that the koi were flashing during treatment because the pp was driving the parasites crazy. Could that be why?

I thought that the koi were flashing during treatment because the pp was driving the parasites crazy. Could that be why?
    Flashing indicates irritation. It could be due to parasites 'going crazy'. It could be caused by the treatment itself.

Nisai
    I did another pp treatment yesterday at 2.5 ppm for 8 hours and today there is no flashing and the koi are very lively. The prazi will be in next week should I do another pp treatment in a couple days or just wait for the praziand put that in?

Are you sure your koi had flukes? (I do not recall you saying that you had identified flukes under a microscope.) If so, then a Prazi treatment could clean up what the PP did not get. Prazi is very safe for the fish, so it does not raise the same level of concern as a possibly unnecessary treatment of harsh chemicals.

If you have guessed that your fish had flukes and have not verified it, then I ask whether the fish are still exhibiting signs of parasite infestation. I am not as doctrinaire as some when it comes to scrape & scope to identify parasites, but I do not like unnecessarily using medications. The PP treatments have likely eliminated or greatly reduced any other parasites affecting your fish. If symptoms have gone away and the presence of flukes was not verified, there may not be anything to treat.

I did another pp treatment yesterday at 2.5 ppm for 8 hours and today there is no flashing and the koi are very lively. The prazi will be in next week should I do another pp treatment in a couple days or just wait for the praziand put that in?
    I consider our ponds to a fish like a jail cell with no greens for humans and a PP treatment as chemo treatments. So only treat when it is absolutely necessary. If you see flashing do not panic but observe the fish however once you start seeing more than one fish it is best to catch it and do a visual inspection for flukes especially the gills.
    Regards
    Eugene

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123