Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: Prazi pond plus

Nisai

Prazi pond plus

I have a couple questions. I won't be treating with prazi for a week or so but I found online that prazi is more effective with salt? I have also found that it is less effective with salt? Can someone please tell me the correct procedure? Sorry for all the questions but I love my Koi and want to do everything I can for them.

MCA
    leave salt for the french fries.

You can find anything on line. Get a good koi health book. There are several available on Amazon.

I am not aware of Prazi being more effective when used with salt. It may be. Prazi can be used when salt is in the water, which is not true of all medications.

It has been established that Prazi used in combination with ProForm-C is more effective. Note that ProForm-C should not be used with salt. It is a combo of formalin and malachite green, which is never to be used with salt. So, if using prazi and f/mg in combination, salt would be a big no-no.

Prazi Plus is the recent Koi Kare Kennel product, which contains Praziquantel and cyanocobalamin, and is promoted as being 40% more effective than Prazi alone. Cyanocobalamin is a synthetic vitamin B-12. Why it would make prazi more effective is beyond me, but I've often been surprised by how simple things can have complex interactions.

If you are trying to treat flukes, go with supaverm. Prazi or any of the different praziquatel formulations are not very effective and it's not cheap either. Here is my documented experience with both products.
    Mixing Prazi Pro and Potassium Permanganate

Good luck!
    Sunny

Nisai
    Quote Originally Posted by Tosai_Sunny View Post
    If you are trying to treat flukes, go with supaverm. Prazi or any of the different praziquatel formulations are not very effective and it's not cheap either. Here is my documented experience with both products.

Good luck!
    Sunny
    I was going to treat with supaverm but I can't face nd it anywhere in Canada.

Sansai
    Quote Originally Posted by Tosai_Sunny View Post

Good luck!
    Sunny
    Ha... yes, I do remember that thread. It is a good read because it addresses some of the temperature and life cycle challenges we face when dealing with parasites. Understanding your enemy before you attack is always good advice.

Tosai
    Is flubendazole (trade name : Flubenol by Janssen) available to you guys ? Any feedback on its use for fluke ? with salt better ?

ts

Quote Originally Posted by Lau Teck Seng View Post
    Is flubendazole (trade name : Flubenol by Janssen) available to you guys ? Any feedback on its use for fluke ? with salt better ?

ts
    It is not readily available in the U.S. because not approved for use. It is in widespread use in the UK and Europe in farm production, and thus available to the koi hobby there. It is preferred over other treatments because it kills flukes by causing the cell membranes to rupture, and is reported to kill eggs. Most reports indicate a single treatment clears the pond within a short time. There have not been any adverse effects on koi noted, but there have been reports of negative effects on other fish on occasion. It has been used in the Discus hobby for a decade, with occasional reports of serious adverse effects inhibiting many Discus keepers from using it. There was something of an underground trade among Discus hobbyists in the past. I do not know if there still is.

I used a product last year. Which is basically flubendazole...I'm not saying what happened to my fish was caused from it but, I couldn't find any other explanation for what they did...On the 5th day of having it in the pond all fish swam to one corner of the pond-heads facing the wall and stopped eating.....Now I will say that we had a massive thunderstorm roll in that day --but, nothing more than we've had in the past and it had never caused a problem...anyway I started water changes to get it all out---It took me about 10 days of calling to finally call Brett Rowley and he suggested adding Salt to the pond---believe it or not within 2-3 days the fish were swimming and eating....So while I can't blame the Flubendazole (I even called the UK company that made it to ask if they had any thing happen like this) I don't think I'll be using it again...
    Lawanna

Sansai
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    It is not readily available in the U.S. because not approved for use. It is in widespread use in the UK and Europe in farm production, and thus available to the koi hobby there. It is preferred over other treatments because it kills flukes by causing the cell membranes to rupture, and is reported to kill eggs. Most reports indicate a single treatment clears the pond within a short time. There have not been any adverse effects on koi noted, but there have been reports of negative effects on other fish on occasion. It has been used in the Discus hobby for a decade, with occasional reports of serious adverse effects inhibiting many Discus keepers from using it. There was something of an underground trade among Discus hobbyists in the past. I do not know if there still is.
    I have heard of some negative effects on koi like reddened fins and removal of slime coat, etc. when using it. I'm sure you can find negative things about any of the medications we use because there are so many variables from pond to pond and owner to owner. Sometimes, as painful as it is, we just have to do the "lesser of two evils" when treating our koi... where treating them harshly is better than not treating at all. I've always had success with prazi as long as the water temp is above 60F, but many do not.