Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Odd Behavior by Karasugoi

Fry
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    When Minn Finn was first introduced, it was promoted as eliminating all parasites, even flukes, in a single treatment. I'd guess it did in development testing on koi in clean tanks. After it was on the market for a while, there began to be suggestions that a second treatment might be needed. Now, the promotional statement is that it eliminates parasites, including flukes, in one to three treatments.

So, I have no idea if your koi has flukes or any other parasdite. But, I would not assume a couple of treatments with Minn Finn eliminated flukes, if there were any. There are folks who consider Minn Finn to be the best thing that ever happened for controlling parasites. Others find it disappointing. What I've noticed is that those who say they have consistently good results over the couple of years Minn Finn has been on the market fall into two categories... folks who are very dedicated in their pond maintenance and geared to the koi (i.e., keeping a clean pond with no plants or debris, and frequent regular water changes), and folks who have parasite problems multiple times per year. I'm not so sure the latter group has cause to be so pleased with their results, but can understand they are pleased by the relative ease and short treatment time.
    Thanks Mike. We've been reading a lot about Praziquantel (Prazi-Pond) in the last couple of days and it sounds like a good alternative?

If the rest of your koi are healthy and acting normal, I would tend to believe that this issue is something unique to this koi. Dumping chemicals into your pond based on unusual undiagnosed behavior in a single koi is not the best path to solve this issue.

It is possible that there is some type of neuralogical damage causing the problem which would be untreatable.

I agree that it would be a good idea to scrape and scope and examine this koi.

Is it possible to bag and transport it to someone that could examine it within a few hours of driving distance? If not then I would recommend erring on the side of protecting the rest of your koi and it's biological ecosystem and risk losing this koi to whatever is causing it's symptoms vs. risking everything in attempts to guess what might be helpful.
    Disclosure:These opinions are based on my experience and conversations with persons I consider accomplished koi keepers and do not reflect the viewpoint of any organization.

Fry

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by RayJordan View Post
    If the rest of your koi are healthy and acting normal, I would tend to believe that this issue is something unique to this koi. Dumping chemicals into your pond based on unusual undiagnosed behavior in a single koi is not the best path to solve this issue.

It is possible that there is some type of neuralogical damage causing the problem which would be untreatable.

I agree that it would be a good idea to scrape and scope and examine this koi.

Is it possible to bag and transport it to someone that could examine it within a few hours of driving distance? If not then I would recommend erring on the side of protecting the rest of your koi and it's biological ecosystem and risk losing this koi to whatever is causing it's symptoms vs. risking everything in attempts to guess what might be helpful.
    Thanks for your input Ray. We don't own a microscope but are looking into it. Sounding ignorant here, exactly how do you do a scraping? I know that it is the slime coat we're after, but what implement do you use to do the scrape? We've never, in over 8 years, had any problems with any of our fish, so are kind of at a loss here.

Lots of information about checking koi for parasites online including this article on our club website

Texas Koi & Fancy Gold Fish Society - Fish Parasites 101 by Ray Jordan

In reality nothing beats a hands on experience. Many koi clubs have a live demonstration about scraping and scoping. A koi dealer would also be able to give you a demonstration or even might let you to bring in your koi to be checked as part of the teaching process.

There are live koi/fish labs offered by many organizations like AKCA or some universities and even online wet labs.

Where do you live? Maybe we can make a more specific recommendation for you to check out.

Fry
    Lots of information about checking koi for parasites online including this article on our club website

Texas Koi & Fancy Gold Fish Society - Fish Parasites 101 by Ray Jordan

In reality nothing beats a hands on experience. Many koi clubs have a live demonstration about scraping and scoping. A koi dealer would also be able to give you a demonstration or even might let you to bring in your koi to be checked as part of the teaching process.

There are live koi/fish labs offered by many organizations like AKCA or some universities and even online wet labs.

Where do you live? Maybe we can make a more specific recommendation for you to check out.
    Hadn't thought about a Koi club. We live in Toutle, Washington (I know - where in the heck is that???) Near Mt. St. Helens. Closest semi-large town would be Longview WA, about 22 miles away.

Go to Welcome To The Associated Koi Clubs of America and check the club listings to contact the club closest to you and call the contact number to see if they can offer some assistance. Also check for any koi dealers close to you.

Fry
    Go to Welcome To The Associated Koi Clubs of America and check the club listings to contact the club closest to you and call the contact number to see if they can offer some assistance. Also check for any koi dealers close to you.
    Perfect! I will do that - thank you so much.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12