Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Odd Behavior by Karasugoi

Fry

Odd Behavior by Karasugoi

Hello. I'm new to this, so bear with me. We have about a 4,000 pond with two waterfalls. We have what we believe is a Karasugoi koi, 6 or 7 years old, who for the last year and a half has been exhibiting some very odd behavior. I've attached a link to a video I put on You Tube because it's very hard to explain! He does "laps" around the pond 1/3 to 1/2 above water vertically. Prior to doing this he'll come to the surface and take a gulp of air, then go back down, gain speed, then come up and do his thing. Seems to do it any time of day, any temperature. Slows down some in winter, but doesn't stop entirely. More often than not he ends up crashing against the rocks, and losing some of his scales showing white underneath. His belly over the last year has turned quite a bit more orange. We've been told it's parasites, we've been told it's mating behavior. We've treated, twice now, with MinnFinn and it seems to make no difference in his odd behavior. He eats normally and other than this, pretty much behaves normally. If anyone has any ideas at all, I'd love your input! It's quite entertaining, but we'd love to know what it is.
    Shadow does back flip.mp4 - YouTube

Thanks for any help!

Fry
    My guess would be flukes

Daihonmei
    Never saw that extreme a reaction before? I have seen head shaking and breaking the surface but this behavior really is extreme. Still, I'd do a gill scaping and see if parasites are present. Just scape some slime off the area behind the gill plate, spread the slime on a microscope slide and look under the scope for movement. There are many books and websites with pictures of the various parasites that cause fish to react violently when being damaged by the activity of those parasites. best of luck, JR

Fry
    Wouldn't flukes have been taken care of by the MinnFinn? We live approx. 70 miles from anyplace that knows anything about koi. Is there any way that a koi can be sedated so as to transport him that far?

Nisai
    Could be part dolphin

I had a male kohaku that did the same exact thing, only my koi did not last as long as your koi does it. Maybe one or two seconds at the most. I had him for four years and then I gave him to a friend. Mine also did it some times couple of times a day some times never for few days. He was never sick, I never found anything on him after several scrapes and besides that very odd behavior he acted and fed like a normal koi. I had him from nisai and he started doing this within a couple of months after I got him.
    After a year or two I got used to this behavior but it always puzzled me as to why. I never got an explanation but I got to accept it as this particular fish's weird release of frustration.

Fry
    Actually he is doing it even longer now than when that video was taken. He does 2 or 3 laps around our pond now and wears himself out such that in between "happy dances" as we call them, he simply rests wherever he has landed. One of my concerns is that he's beating himself up running into the sides of the pond. I don't see him eat, but he must be because he's as big as ever. I'm growing a little more concerned because now the other fish seem to be hovering around him (or her) when resting. Am ordering a microscope as we speak so that I can do scrapings.

Daihonmei
    Quote Originally Posted by misty View Post
    Actually he is doing it even longer now than when that video was taken. He does 2 or 3 laps around our pond now and wears himself out such that in between "happy dances" as we call them, he simply rests wherever he has landed. One of my concerns is that he's beating himself up running into the sides of the pond. I don't see him eat, but he must be because he's as big as ever. I'm growing a little more concerned because now the other fish seem to be hovering around him (or her) when resting. Am ordering a microscope as we speak so that I can do scrapings.
    Has this fish ever been injected with antibiotics? And did this fish do this since you first owned it or is it behavior that developed in the pond over time? Do you ever see any other fish run on the bottom or flash against the pond walls or a 'favorite' pipe of PVC piping or the like? JR

Quote Originally Posted by misty View Post
    Wouldn't flukes have been taken care of by the MinnFinn? We live approx. 70 miles from anyplace that knows anything about koi. Is there any way that a koi can be sedated so as to transport him that far?
    When Minn Finn was first introduced, it was promoted as eliminating all parasites, even flukes, in a single treatment. I'd guess it did in development testing on koi in clean tanks. After it was on the market for a while, there began to be suggestions that a second treatment might be needed. Now, the promotional statement is that it eliminates parasites, including flukes, in one to three treatments.

So, I have no idea if your koi has flukes or any other parasdite. But, I would not assume a couple of treatments with Minn Finn eliminated flukes, if there were any. There are folks who consider Minn Finn to be the best thing that ever happened for controlling parasites. Others find it disappointing. What I've noticed is that those who say they have consistently good results over the couple of years Minn Finn has been on the market fall into two categories... folks who are very dedicated in their pond maintenance and geared to the koi (i.e., keeping a clean pond with no plants or debris, and frequent regular water changes), and folks who have parasite problems multiple times per year. I'm not so sure the latter group has cause to be so pleased with their results, but can understand they are pleased by the relative ease and short treatment time.

Fry
    Quote Originally Posted by JasPR View Post
    Has this fish ever been injected with antibiotics? And did this fish do this since you first owned it or is it behavior that developed in the pond over time? Do you ever see any other fish run on the bottom or flash against the pond walls or a 'favorite' pipe of PVC piping or the like? JR
    We've had this fish for at least 7 years. He just started doing this after we built a new, deeper pond in late 2010. Given his size, our previous pond wouldn't have given him the overall depth I don't think. We've never seen any of the other fish do anything like this. He doesn't really rub against anything - just bashes into the rocks while he's doing this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast