Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The wrong way, the 'right' way and the enlightened way--

Daihonmei
    I should add that there is also a right way and an enlightned way-- this a concept of first reactioning to the wrong way and ending the wrong way practices in favor of meeting the everyday needs of the fish. And then the enlightened way, which would be to adress those needs and to enter a perspective of how to cause koi to flourish in an ideal setting. Ideal, to include, environment, mantenance and feeding technique. JR

MCA
    We all start somewhere. In those days (1999) I would have said it was a koi pond. Now I say it was a pond that happened to contain koi. The devil is in the details.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The wrong way, the 'right' way and the enlightened way---first-pond.jpg  

Daihonmei
    A virtual PARADISE for comets/shubunkins and baby long fin carp; or, taking another entirely different direction-- a collection of fancy goldfish in the summer months only. And a beautiful water feature for the patio, no doubt. But koi? close, they will live for sure and do well in their first year of life if not crowded -- just not the ideal or state of the art of koi keeping today. Today adult koi are known to need deeper, more circulating ponds-- koi ponds--- . Thanks for adding this MCA. JR

Quote Originally Posted by MCA View Post
    We all start somewhere. In those days (1999) I would have said it was a koi pond. Now I say it was a pond that happened to contain koi. The devil is in the details.
    I think you just hit the "me too" button for a lot of us.
    Been there, done that, burned the tee shirt

MCA
    This was the replacement pond. The photo was taken from out in the yard looking towards the house. This Mark II pond was semi-raised 8x16x4 with two Spindrifter BDs feeding a pre filter (that was a joke) and then a 2.2 bead filter (that did not have a proper blower for good back washes). Also the pond did not have a skimmer. So it a big improvement over the Mark I ditch; however, still not quite "spot on" either.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The wrong way, the 'right' way and the enlightened way---second-pond.jpg  

Daihonmei
    Missed this posting MCA-- very functional looking and more state of the art from the UK designs.
    I am building a new pond as we speak. The pour will be in a few more days if the weather cooperates. I'm going to try and thread the needle on this last pond I will build. It is not gigantic-- not on the scale of what I dreamed about building when I was 35! However it is not about compromise either ( I don't compromise 'well' if you've noticed).

But I'm missing the look of a natural pond. This is why I always admired and liked the look of Kuroki's pond and most well designed Japanese ponds. But I'm long past tolerating bowl shaped bottomed liner pond looks. So gunite pour-- rectangular base with rounded corners( at six foot depth, 6.6 at the drains) and then sloping sides at three feet of depth). This is , in effect, a hybrid of the natural looking pond and the rectangle of the UK.
    raised 10 inches above grade with stone neckless edge/planted edge and decking on one side. I hope to have all the whistles and bells of your design with the effect of a natural Japaese pond. Not easily done. I hope my artistic side is up to it! I know my science side is sound. JR

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12