Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Reading Koi siblings

Brady: Your lesson is well appreciated. I definitely would think I was looking at the typical juvenile head markings that usually disappear in the 2d year. Knowing that it could be sumi shadows for future development changes the entire perspective. Knowing the older sibling truly does matter.

Brady, I wonder if the#1 fish might have a different father than the other three? Are you sure it is not from that asagi black type throwing male who's kids have the shallow baby type sumi that goes away, moves around and comes up from underneath, asagi looking while in the process? Here those other three and USA look like from the dad who's sumi pretty much stays put, the back seat individual.

Jumbo

Showas

Hi SMG,

I'll e-mail you some pics of one of your Showa "USA's" sibling from '03 - really quite different than these 4 Showas.

Best Wishes,
    Brady Brandwood

Breeding

This discussion with Brady is interesting. I recently crossed a black female with a black and white male bekko with gin rin scales both of unknow Japanese parentage but quite good stock. I got about 150 offspring 6 full black and quite a few greys and some even with orange on their sides very few straight black and whites so far they are only 1-4 inches in size but the amazing thing is 6 have the same phenotype as the mother even though this mix is in there the Bekko male in recent years has an orange spot that has shown up on his side. The last time I used a black and white male with this female I got quite a few black and white offspring

fry 56,

Did you get any gin rin scaled ? sounds like your bekko male was a sanke at one time in an earlier life!

isn't alberta known for it's peaches? I think they named a variety after
    your neck of the woods. I'm thinking there's a famous breeder in japan known as "peach-boy"

Alberta is too cold to grow peaches we are known for our national parks like banff and jasper the rocky mountains our beef and oil

I guess my point with the koi is that he may look a certain way phenotype but the genotype is another matter. It is interesting to see what happens with some of these crosses.

My doitsu kohaku female times the utsirimono orange and black male gave some interesting results too lots of kohaku but the black spots didn't show up too much they are starting to show up now here and there but out in the pond there was little sign of them there are two that are marked just like the male so far the offspring are 1-5 inches long now but it is interesting and educational to see what happens with the various crosses. I have some excellent utsirimono orange and black males and females from Sakai and plan on crossing them with some of his kohaku that i have to generate showa and sanke i wonder how that will work?

2p
    Tosai
    A big thank you for all informations, you shared.
    i love this web. :shock:

Hi Dick:
    If you want to have a little diversion, go to http://www.candlelightstories.com/D001/Peach1.htm to find out the name of the Breeder known as "Peach Boy". Cute stuff.
    Regards,
    Jeff R. :P

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12