Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: The very best way to buy koi--

I would say that many hobbyists on the West Coast (U.S.) feel that people, in the know, can find good Koi cheap.[/QUOTE]

I guess that makes for three independent variables;
    Good koi
    Cheap
    In the know

Quote Originally Posted by bobbysuzanna View Post
    I guess that makes for three independent variables;
    Good koi
    Cheap
    In the know
    There are more Koi dealers on the West Coast and many of them have special Koi sales events.

"In the know" can mean being a Koi expert, a person buying Koi with the help of an expert, or just somebody who knows when there is going to be a special Koi sales event.

Some recent (South West Coast) examples: The Koi show event at Mystic Koi with Sekiguchi and Koda, the Dainichi tosai sale at the SoCal ZNA Koi Show, and the annual growth contest at Andrew's Koi.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    Good post, Yamato.

I do think you must not have heard correctly about the breeder's cost of production. 10 yen per tosai is much less than I would expect, even for a small one sold off in bulk without greenhouse keeping expense. Now, if they were an unculled mix, perhaps. Of course, the person who said that might not have included all the costs.
    Mike,
    I will phone one of the breeders just now to verify. Must be the value out of the mud ponds or unculled . My brains stopped working from too much info overload.
    I am in Osaka and going home today.
    Another thing I noticed is that in the south the green houses were unheated but boiling hot...u come out wet, and lots more feeding there, in Niigata lots of snow, and the Koi at some breeders were long but very skinny...looked as if they were not fed much in the green houses.

Quote Originally Posted by Yamato View Post
    *** Another thing I noticed is that in the south the green houses were unheated but boiling hot...u come out wet, and lots more feeding there, in Niigata lots of snow, and the Koi at some breeders were long but very skinny...looked as if they were not fed much in the green houses.
    There is a different approach to over-wintering koi in southern Japan compared to Niigata, according to everything I read and hear. (Alas, no personal observation on my part.) There is some thought that those koikeepers in warm climates would do better with koi produced in the south, the idea being that over multiple generations the selection process results in koi better adjusted to long growing seasons. It is hard to say if there is much truth in the idea. Perhaps some, but not a lot? ...I notice that top fish produced in Niigata are often sent to the south to be raised for show careers. This is mainly because large growing facilities are found there and the longer growing season helps push the koi faster. These 'northern koi' seem to do fine in such conditions. The Niigata breeders do not have large facilities for growing out mature koi, and the mountain climate makes it more expensive to heat the water for a prolonged growing period. As a generalization, the Niigata facilities are to keep koi healthy and alive over winter, with the growing occuring in the mudponds. In the south over-wintering occurs, but there are also facilities for growing mature koi that will not go back to the mud unless it thought a specific fish would benefit from a summer in the mud. It is interesting to read about a show winner produced in Niigata, sold as sansai to a hobbyist who then placed the fish in the care of, say, Momotaro; and after a couple of years it is returned to Niigata for a summer in Niigata mud before going back south to be 'finished' for the show ring. Less of that sort of thing occurs in the post-KHV world of koi, but it does still occur on a select basis. But, I've gone far off course from the topic of this thread.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234