Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What is the best koi food

Daihonmei
    Quote Originally Posted by cookcpu View Post
    JR, I used to feed spinach to my Top View Ranchu. I wonder will the spinach be suitable for Koi.

Right, spinach is good and collard greens are very good. Peas are good and also parsley and romaine lettuce. Red and green peppers too. Spinach got a bad rap a decade ago because of its large concentration of oxalic acid which in very high levels can be toxic. But like most pop subjects it has been greatly exaggerated in those reports as a toxic. On the other hand it holds high levels of vitamin A and C as well as a great source for iron.

I recommend a variation of each of these veggies rotated in a paste or gelatin food pre fed throughout the summer months.
    A typical formula will be a mix of greens, fish, shrimp and vitamins in a blender and then when shredded add warm heated gelatin based mixture (mixed in Orange juice and gelatin that was heated in a separate pot on the stove). This is then laid out on a baking sheet for refrigeration or freezing. Or poured into ice cube trays ( spray the plastic ice cube tray with pam oil spray). I also use a paste food that is made with wheat germ, honey, powdered eggs and some tuna fish ( non oil). Krill, by the way, will stop the gelatin from setting up so don’t use krill in gelatin based prep but it can be used in the paste.
    There is an art to these preps and you must experiment so as to make a substance that doesn’t foul the water as it is too fine and too easily dissolved in the pond upon entry.
    Never make more than you can use in five days unless you are freezing it right away.

JR

Quote Originally Posted by JasPR View Post

Right, spinach is good and collard greens are very good. Peas are good and also parsley and romaine lettuce. Red and green peppers too. Spinach got a bad rap a decade ago because of its large concentration of oxalic acid which in very high levels can be toxic. But like most pop subjects it has been greatly exaggerated in those reports as a toxic. On the other hand it holds high levels of vitamin A and C as well as a great source for iron.

I recommend a variation of each of these veggies rotated in a paste or gelatin food pre fed throughout the summer months.
    A typical formula will be a mix of greens, fish, shrimp and vitamins in a blender and then when shredded add warm heated gelatin based mixture (mixed in Orange juice and gelatin that was heated in a separate pot on the stove). This is then laid out on a baking sheet for refrigeration or freezing. Or poured into ice cube trays ( spray the plastic ice cube tray with pam oil spray). I also use a paste food that is made with wheat germ, honey, powdered eggs and some tuna fish ( non oil). Krill, by the way, will stop the gelatin from setting up so don’t use krill in gelatin based prep but it can be used in the paste.
    There is an art to these preps and you must experiment so as to make a substance that doesn’t foul the water as it is too fine and too easily dissolved in the pond upon entry.
    Never make more than you can use in five days unless you are freezing it right away.

JR
    JR, thank you.

I will try it out and see how it goes.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123