Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: my koi fish arent eating

Quote Originally Posted by 302Dz View Post
    i tested the amonia and ph they said they are good a pet store tested them for me
    Don't take this wrong, but most (not all, but most) "pet stores" know next to nothing about Koi or Koi Ponds.

What are the actual test numbers? kH, gH, pH, Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate. Real numbers from an accurate test kit. "Good" is not a number. "Perfect" is not a number. They are opinions, and invariably they are are wrong when the one telling the story has no clue what the actual numbers are.

So far we know that your pond is around 1600 gallons with a Laguna 3200 filter and a U.V. light. We know it has 5 koi around 6" long. That much is fine.

How long have they been in the pond?
    How long has the filtration been running?
    What kind of real water test numbers do you have?
    What kind of dechlor did you use on the water before adding the fish?
    What pump are you using?
    How many gallons per hour does it pump?

We ask these questions because their answers probably hold the key to our ability to give you the right answer to your questions. We can't give you the help you want if you can't give us the information we need.
    Larry Iles
    Oklahoma

Looking back over this thread, some of the replies may come across as a bit hard-nosed because folks have asked concise questions without explaining why.

There are lots of reasons koi might not eat. Most frequently, it will be due to water conditions or parasites. In a new pond, the exposure may cause fear for a day or two. A new pond also means risk of 'new pond syndrome', i.e., water quality issues. And, new fish in a new pond often experience a population explosion of parasites when water conditions deteriorate. Figuring out your situation is why so many questions are being asked.

Nisai
    yes they use strips

yes they use strips
    Ok. At least we know where to start.
    Test strips are just a little bit more accurate than my nose, but not much.
    That's why we asked. The accuracy of the information you've been given is marginal at best, so there isn't much ot go on.

That leaves us with the obvious, but we've been down this road before (a few thousand times) so we can start with what the past has taught us and try to help you along from there.

Your pond, filter, water, and fish, are probably all "new". Otherwise you wouldn't be asking questions about how new fish act. "New" may not applly to the actual age of the pond and filter, but to how long they've been running this time around. Your fish probably came from the Pest Store. Pest Store fish have parasites, which is why I refer to it as the "Pest" Store. Repeat. ALL Pest Store fish have parasites, no exceptions, ever, period.

The water isn't perfect, good, or even "fine". It is probably marginal, which is to be expected when you are just getting started. Your fish are feeling stressed because their whole universe has been turned upside down, shaken vigorously, and dumped into a strange place. They don't like it, you, or the people at the Pest Store.

It wouldn't be any better at someone elses house, so don't feel bad.

They won't like you for at least a week or so. Your water won't be good for at least a month or two. Your filter will take that long to start working properly. If the Pest Store sold you (or tries to sell you) bacteria in a bag, bottle, or any other form, it won't fix the water any faster, but if it makes you feel better to give away money to them, go ahead. Your fish won't know the difference, your water won't get better any quicker, but you'll feel less guilty and the Pest Store will love you for another day.

If you don't have dechlorinator, get some, follow the directions, and do 10% water changes every day for at least a week or two. Your water is going to take time to get right, and in the meanwhile your fish need the extra help. They need plenty of oxygen, so if you have a waterfall, fountain, airstones, etc... make sure they are getting the job of moving the water done well.

Don't feed them for a week. They'll be fine. They will not starve. If you feed them anyway it will only make the water worse before the filter is ready to handle it and then you'll be asking us why their skin is turning pink and they're acting weird.

Buy a good test kit. Not strips. A real test kit with liquid drops, test tubes, and good instructions on how to use them. You want to test Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate, pH, kH, and gH. The Pest Store might even have them. If they don't, find someone who is not completely incompetent and shop there instead.

Nisai
    i had the 3 koi for almost 1-2 years i bought 2 new koi 1 week ago so thats 5 are filter has been running for 7 months then we took it out for winter and brong that 3 koi inside for the winter and the pond liner been in there 7 months

Nisai
    they have lot of oxygen we have a water fall NOT A AIR STONE

i had the 3 koi for almost 1-2 years i bought 2 new koi 1 week ago so thats 5 are filter has been running for 7 months then we took it out for winter and brong that 3 koi inside for the winter and the pond liner been in there 7 months
    The water and filter would be considered "new" from the standpoint of how long they've been running this year. Any time you shut one down for winter the entire life cycle of the filter starts from scratch, which means the water is not in good shape yet. It is simply the way things work and there isn't much you can do about it.
    Your older fish are still only 6" long?
    Why? They should be growing at least that much in a single year when they are young, so the ones you've had for 2 years should be close to 18" (or more) by now.

they have lot of oxygen we have a water fall NOT A AIR STONE
    Good that you have the water fall. Better if you had an airstone too, but good water movement is your most effective aeration source.

Nisai
    they arre prod are bigger then 6inch they look bigger i am not sure how long i had i know i had then they wehre 3-4inch may be 1 i had then thebefore winter the watfer dfall and filter were working

Nisai
    the filter is working good the water is cyrstal clear

the filter is working good the water is cyrstal clear
    Good morning DZ can you describ the systems of your fish,are they swimming ok,are they sitting at the bottom of the pond,are their head kind of facing down or are they swimming kind of slow, is there somthings els abnormal about them beside not eating at this point ???

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast