Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: my koi fish arent eating

Sansai
    This threat is getting a bit bizarre as we've got lots of diagnoses without a basic history.
    Can you tell us what temperature your water is?
    Were your fish feeding fine a month ago and have now stopped feeding?
    I get the impression that your pond was shut down for the winter and you've started it up again ie a new pond filter essentially, but have been feeding Hikari Gold ie high protein feed for mid-summer season. Is this correct?
    What actually are your pH, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, TDS and Kh?

I suspect that if we get this basic information, then people on here (much more knowledgeable than me) will be able to help you.

Nisai
    hi koicjl yes they are swimging fine when u get close they get scared and go crazy but they swim around

Until you can give us numbers, there's really nothing else we can do to help you.

You can go online and order a test kit for less than $25. Get a "drop test kit" meaning it uses Reagents instead of strips. Keep the kit inside, out of the sunlight and heat.

Clear water DOES NOT MEAN GOOD WATER. This is a huge misconception. The water out of my tap, well water, is crystal clear. It has a pH of 5.5, 0 hardness and 0 alkalinity. It is not good water for koi.

Nisai
    I cannot stress what kntry said enough! Until we have some numbers to work with, we can't even begin to help. Frequent water changes may help you for now, though I highly suggest dechlor and a test on the tap water.

Perfect or good water is only an opinion, the numbers are fact. I am not trying to be rude in any way, but only trying to help.

Nisai
    There is no Dam chlorine I tested it I bought some more fish they are more active know and slowly coming to the top don't u guys read the comments there' is no chlorine i used dasani. Bottled water for the pond joking

Quote Originally Posted by 302Dz View Post
    There is no Dam chlorine I tested it I bought some more fish they are more active know and slowly coming to the top don't u guys read the comments there' is no chlorine i used dasani. Bottled water for the pond joking
    That is not the point, if your source water is low in KH like mine you can have large PH swings this can cause all sorts of issues including PH crashes. This can kill your bio filter and cause major stress or kill your koi, this is just one of many problems you can have with not testing your water and learning what the tests mean. So unless you can start testing and learn what you need to do to keep your water you are in for a rough ride.

Nisai
    they are more active now i think the raccon scared them or something they always done this to me even when i built a new pond they did not eat they are wild koi i bought a few fish and they are more frendlier now and not as much scraed i think the racoon scread them

Nisai
    I am glad you resolved all of this. Best of luck to you.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123