Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Koi fry in mudpond

More Pics

Sorry Alex no proper pics of any of the koi in a bowl taken recently.And yes that is one of the Kohaku female parents.
    Only group shots of them in the main pond. ops:
    Most of the Gosanke in this pic is in the mudpond now.

Jaco,
    Thatll do, great fish and a nice pond. Keep us updated on the fry progress.

Thank You,
    Alex Gibbs

Jaco: Neat pics. I think you may get a real challenge figuring out what your goal is when culling. Go for the kohaku pattern, and worry later whether it is actually sanke or showa. ...... Sad I have no place for a mud pond for fry!

Daihonmei
    Ya done good.
    How many do you have?
    i had 50 non-culls from japan. A disappointing little school of inchers. They looked JUST LIKE yours. I was able to keep them ALL. I didn't have to cull. They are amazing how much they change. The ones I didn't kill :roll:
    If you want to learn alot more. seperate the different colors and patterns into smaller ponds/containers. And watch 'em change. You'll know more what to keep next year. All but four of my 50 turned into something other than solid colored koi. And some amazed me how they morphed.

Maurice,

Good to here from you again. I was just checking your experiment site just this morning. I was hoping that during the holidays you had some free time to add some photo's to the site.

You know it's damn cold here right now, and I could use a fix. Just checked on the kids in the new winter home in the garage. Water is steady at 58 (14C), they have slowed down a bit, but it must be better then outside under the ice. They say it's going down to 8 degrees (-13C)in the next couple of days. :smt114

Steve (Motown)
    Detroit, MI

Thanks guys!!!!!

I will keep you posted on their development.
    Maybe add some pics every month so you can get an idea of their development and growth.
    I just hope I can afford feeding them all. I will have to cull some in a months time when the patterns would be more defined and give the cullings to people new in the hobby.

Somerset, England. (land of the country bumpkin)
    Jaco, with that mix of parents you'll have all sorts. Not sure if you know, but around 2/3rd of a showa spawn will be yellow babies. These in conventional breeding would be culled at 3 days. What ever the out come, you will have to cull to kohaku pattern and watch the sumi come up as will.
    Steve, I've been very lazy over the festive season, which is very unlike me. Sorry for no web site updates, but I have been able to do a little towards finishing the capping on the new pond.
    Best wishes,
    Maurice.

Thanks Maurice

I forgot to mention that there were two male ginrin and one female ginrin gosanke in the spawning and this should add to the exitement as they developand I can even keep a few ginrin benigoi and hopefully they won't develop shimmies in future. I have become quite fond of the Kohaku babies and can easily find myself in breeding only kohaku next time. They sure seem much easier to cull and develop a lot sooner than sanke and showa.
    :lol: :wink: :lol: :lol:

Daihonmei
    JACO,
    Of my 50 several were "just yellow" at the end of Summer, most of them have quite a bit of black now. So throw all the yellows in a different pond/pool/tank and see if it happens to you.
    And my kohaku fry...the patterns are not stable thank god! Most of them were "redheads" and now the red is disappearing from parts of their faces...not just drawing up, but dramatically shrinking.
    Several people told me to keep all 50 when I was considering culling, I am very glad they said so.

Wintering koi fry

As our winter is very mild I plan on leaving all the fry in the mudpond throughout winter and plan to feed on warmer days.Who knows maybe I will get an extra cm of growth during winter.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast