Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Koi fry in mudpond

Fry in mud pond

That is interesting. I spawn in mud ponds too. I have three crosses the ones in the attached picture are from the same male a utsirimono orange and black and a yellow ogon female and a doitsu kohaku female. The black did not start to show up until they were 2-3 inches long and yes they all look yellow but the kohaku markings are starting to show up more as they grow. I would recommend culling any with physical deformities to start with and if there are any very special young ones to seperate them out the less competition the faster they will grow. I take my breeders out once I know there is a spawning. the earlier they better as they start eating eggs as soon as they are finished spawning. This is a very interesting discussion and I can learn a lot from it

Mudpond Fry

Great to haer from other novice breeders and see their results.
    How big are your fry now and how many did you keep?
    How big are you're mudponds?
    Jaco :roll: :?:

From the spawning shown in the picture I have about 500 they range in size from,1-6 inches. I bring them into the heated garagein a 250 gallon stock tank and also one125 gallon glass tank in my basement. I have 100 from another spawning in the basement and about 100 from the kohaku utsirimono cross down here I am watching them as I write they are the smaller ones. This is probably my 8th Koi spawning. I try and select good parents and get definite crosses. Last year produced some of the best quality so far. They are still not close to the quality that I can buy but 2004 may produce some top offspring as I have about 15 sakai parents to choose from Kohaku,showa,sanke and utsirimono. My pond that I spawn them is is likely aboout 3000 gallons it is very shallow. In this pond last year I had two females one ogon and one doitsu kohaku female they had both spawned sucessfully before. There were two utsirimono males with them that had never spawned only one of the males did anything form the looks of the offspring and he was the orange and black one.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123