Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: Water from a lake

Water from a lake

Just a question I've been wondering. Can you pump water from a lake/large pond to supply your koi pond without being concerned about disease and parasites from wild aquatic species?
    If there are those out there that do it, what's the good and bad?

MCA
    Pathogens (bacteria, viruii, and parasites) are only part of the potential problem set. I would be far more concerned about chemicals such as fertilizers, pesticides, metals...etc. You never know what someone is doing upstream.

At a minimum I would run the water through those large Big Blue whole house filters (spun fiber then carbon block) before it got it near my fish.

Suggest running samples to a lab for a full analysis before proceeding.

No way I would do that.

Can I ask the reason you would even want to ? High Water Bill ?

Water from the tap has gone through a lot of processes to be suitable for human consumption and is suitable for koikeeping with only rare exceptions (such as elevated copper levels). All other water sources have to be thoroughly examined before use. Well water is usually good in most areas where wells are dug, but can be quite unsuitable in other areas. Natural water bodies are subject to the further risks of pathogens. There is a reason water from lakes and rivers is subjected to multiple treatment processes before being supplied for human consumption and has to be tested continuously to identify pollutants, etc. You can use the lake as a water source, but need to determine how much of a water treatment plant you have to construct for it to be suitable. For most folks, tap water will be cheaper and more reliable. You might want to look into having a well dug, if allowed in your area. Check with others nearby who have wells for home use or irrigation regarding depth, water quality and cost.

Quote Originally Posted by HEADACHE6 View Post
    No way I would do that.

Can I ask the reason you would even want to ? High Water Bill ?
    I went to a friends house who lives on a thousand acre recreational lake in the mountains. Was thinking what a great place for a koi pond and then wondered if you could use the water from the lake.

Quote Originally Posted by bobbysuzanna View Post
    I went to a friends house who lives on a thousand acre recreational lake in the mountains. Was thinking what a great place for a koi pond and then wondered if you could use the water from the lake.
    There was a guy up in Canada looking into doing the same thing a few years ago, but the small lake was private and he owned it.

Connecting up to a public lake, estuary, river, etc... would carry a lot of baggage. The chances of your pond falling prey to bugs in the water would always be there, but not really my biggest concern.

I have this vision of someone from Fish and Game knocking on your door demanding certification of your biosecurity, measures to absolutely prevent fry or fertile eggs from entering the lake from the outlet, etc... And then there's that pesky thing about water rights. "Limited use" of water from "public" waterways for "private purposes" can nail you in a flash.
    Larry Iles
    Oklahoma

maybe not as scary as several of the points brought up, but still a concern....
    water from a lake in the mountains is gonna be cold. You'd definetely need to be able to heat it up to a point where you would be able to get some growth.

Daihonmei
    any source water first must become 'known water'. This applies to wells and city water as well. Doing tests on that source water and logging it is the starting point. Once you know the waters many parameters and nature you need to divide your testing resulings into seasonal testing results as source water changes with the seasons.

If I lived on a lake and found the water of good quality, I wouls use it only if I was willing to set up a mini-water treatment plant as an entry point into my pond. ( I have done this will ocean water, by the way, and have superior sea water once to store bought stuff once it has been treated).

The water plant, depending on results of tests, should have ;

1) a sediment filter( sand filter)
    2) a UV light bank
    3) and ozone unit
    4) Or a Ff with a ozone unit attached
    5) carbon filters

And then all should be aerated overnight in a holding tank.

One more IMPORTANT note: you can't dump pond water into that lake! For one it is pollution and as such you can be fined big time by your local and state municipality for adding nitrAtes to the local water. And it goes without saying that the silly practice of salting pond water as tonic means that you can't really dump that water anywhere! As it is a deadly solution for most plant life - land especially, as the salt concentrates on every dumping and builds and builds. At least when dumped in a city system it is greatly diluted. But in your lake it will concentrate over time. JR