Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shiro Utsuri baby

Somerset, England. (land of the country bumpkin)

Shiro Utsuri baby

Wonder if any of you guys would care to comment on how the future looks for this little guy? I can't make my mind up, it stands out in the pond, but not so sure close up.

If I can keep it alive for a 12 month, I'll show you what happened!
    Maurice.

Great skin

I would love to have one like that and the skin is very impressive.
    How about a pic of the tancho showa again. 8)

Daihonmei
    MAURICE!?
    How on Earth do you expect to get away with posting a pick of a koi that small and us all wonder if you got lucky enough to have procured from one of your breedings?
    Of course it looks damn good; great mirrored-pattern potential, and an interesting head marking.

Hi Maurice,
    On your website it says you used two oofuchi males and one seki female. I dont know how the Oofuchi sumi develops, but it seems that the seki shiros maintain or loose the sumi that they have. So it is possible that the sumi on the fish may solidify where it is and the underlying sumi may not come up at all. But then again it is still a tosai and it has quite a bit of developing left to do. SKin quality looks to be good but I am more impressed by a few of the shiros on your website then this one, at least for size potential.

Best Regards,
    Alex Gibbs

Here's the tancho showa, the photo is from 29th Nov, since has grown some more and the underlying grey is still fading. Not sure if more sumi is showing, perhaps not.
    I'm hoping for a good bit of sumi coming up, perhaps/hopefully covering the little beni mark at the front of the dorsal!
    But I'm starting to think it has a classic showa deformity, a slight out of line mouth, if so it will look worse as it gets older!
    Even without a deformity, it will probably end up at a garden centre for a few pounds, but itís part of my learning curve. I need to see how different styles of koi grow out.
    There are no masters in our part of the country.
    It's teach yourself koi breeding, just wish I was younger!

Yes Jason, it's one of my shiros. I take it from the lack of responce from our informed readers, it's junk!!
    Maurice.

Showa baby

This is one we have been following. Hoping to post 3 photos in a row, but not sure if it will work?

The last 2 photos are one month apart, it does not come over very weel in the poor third photo, but the beni is cleaning up and looks a little deeper, perhaps the slighty thicker skin is covering the underlying sumi a little? I think this one is a male, as it has not the same body and growth as many that look female style.
    Maurice.

Thanks Maurice

Vry nice pics.
    Here in South Africa Japanese koi are not avaiable as much as in other countries and I believe there to be only 4 importers of Japanese koi here.
    So a tancho showa like the one you bred would be quite popular here and of a better standard than many sold very expensively here.
    Anyhow I love both the showa and utsuri and believe they could easily surprise you as they develop. :wink: :wink:

Maurice,

Would have commented earlier, but was busy in Bristol yesterday. Would like to look in on your premices the next time I'm down, if that is at all possible?

Is this Shiro one from your website that has developed further with more sumi development? Certinly looks interesting and one to watch.

Odd sort of question this, but have you 'farmed' out any of your Tosia for others to grow on? One or two here and there in different ponds, different water, may prove interesting to you?

bob,
    are you volunteering your "farm" for maurice? if I wasn't across the pond
    I'd volunteer mine! I have some matsukawabake's and kumonryu's I could trade em'.

Maurice:

Nice looking koi, it does look like a male sanke?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast