Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 13 of 24 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Water Changes

The easiest 'test' for DOC is to check how quickly bubbles from aeration float on the surface. I have airdomes on the bottom drains, so there are always bubbles to observe. If the bubbles break immediately, DOC is low. If the bubbles remain on the surface long enough to reach the sides of the pond, there is more DOC than I prefer. If bubbles build up to create a patch of foam, there is a major problem. I pay attention to my skimmers, also. (I have the Savio skimmer-filters, not an over-flow type skimmer.) There are times when foam will appear in a corner of the skimmer box, even though aeration bubbles are not persisting on the surface of the pond. This particularly occurs if I feed pellets with sprayed-on oils that feel oily to the touch. The oil comes off in the water, rises to the surface and then gathers in the skimmer box capturing small bubbles created by currents within the skimmer box. An over-flow type skimmer would deposit the oils in the filtration or waste line, depending on the pond design.

That's very useful Mike. Thanks. Makes me wonder if there's really a need for protein Skimmers if really all it's doing is removing the symptoms of poor water quality. Worse, it even hides these symptoms. Instead of changing water and/or cleaning the sump/flushing the bottom drain, we don't.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    The easiest 'test' for DOC is to check how quickly bubbles from aeration float on the surface. I have airdomes on the bottom drains, so there are always bubbles to observe. If the bubbles break immediately, DOC is low. If the bubbles remain on the surface long enough to reach the sides of the pond, there is more DOC than I prefer. If bubbles build up to create a patch of foam, there is a major problem. I pay attention to my skimmers, also. (I have the Savio skimmer-filters, not an over-flow type skimmer.) There are times when foam will appear in a corner of the skimmer box, even though aeration bubbles are not persisting on the surface of the pond. This particularly occurs if I feed pellets with sprayed-on oils that feel oily to the touch. The oil comes off in the water, rises to the surface and then gathers in the skimmer box capturing small bubbles created by currents within the skimmer box. An over-flow type skimmer would deposit the oils in the filtration or waste line, depending on the pond design.
    I too can visually know what my water is like by the bubbles from my air dome. With super clean water just after water changes (weekly), I can see the air from the domes "dance" as they rise. Under normal clean water they have larger bubbles. Also I can see more small vortexes(?) on the surface with super clean water. In addition to the bubbles, when the water is super clean, I can see the water droplets from the shower "bounce" around the surface until they pop. So, yes I can judge my water somewhat without testing. (I used to be able to lick saltwater tank water and tell the salinity with good accuracy when I was very active in the trade.)

Do you check your antifreeze solution strength by taste, too?

Water Changes. I screwed up! Yesterday I was fooling around with my piping (again). Ended up deciding to do a 20%+ water change to make a small adjustment, plus I didn't have time to cycle water through the system in over a week. It was due... Everything went fine and as planned, until I added salt to the water. It wasn't much, maybe a cup for adding approx. 350 gallons new source water. My one female koi started looking lethargic and lazy (normally the Bully in the tank). I immediately thought it had to be the chlorine from my water source and my larger percentage water change, couldn't have been the salt (or could it?) The double chlorine-sodium HIT. Anyway all was fine in the afternoon with energy and feeding .............UNTIL THIS MORNING! I totally screwed up! Very small pipe leak on one of the fittings that I didn't glue up, so water level was 1/2" lower than I like. Of course, you already know what happened.......yup, started a small water trickle, went in to grab my coffee and the phone rang and email was flying first thing Monday morning and then from my bedroom window, I look out at water 1/2" from the TOP. OH $#!+ $#%@^#* First time this has happened to me and I hope this is a lesson I don't end up paying for in dead pets. I immediately drained to desired level, pumped in two more Hikari airstones (4 total now) and mixed in 100+ gallons of water I was going to use to exchange with my small QT. I'm glad I had something...I'm not sure if they're going to make it all day in those harsh conditions, I had to leave them to go to work, so I'll have to see when I get home this evening. I suck!

Don't you use dechlorinator? Also wondering why you added salt. I would add Chlor Am-X or Prime or Amquel Plus ASAP, and no more salt.

Right. Always use ST.

Quote Originally Posted by hewhoisatpeace View Post
    Don't you use dechlorinator? Also wondering why you added salt. I would add Chlor Am-X or Prime or Amquel Plus ASAP, and no more salt.
    I actually haven't use any with my water changes, but looks like I will from now on. Our water quality on the islands is very good, but it still does contain chlorine and some fluoride looking at our water quality reports. I will be more sensitive to dechlorinating my source water. Amazon order already placed. Locally, that 500ml bottle of Prime is a $$$killer. It would have cost me more than a gallon from Amazon. Algae next.

Quote Originally Posted by Akai-San View Post
    I actually haven't use any with my water changes, but looks like I will from now on. Our water quality on the islands is very good, but it still does contain chlorine and some fluoride looking at our water quality reports. I will be more sensitive to dechlorinating my source water. Amazon order already placed. Locally, that 500ml bottle of Prime is a $$$killer. It would have cost me more than a gallon from Amazon. Algae next.
    If your local municipality water district ONLY uses chlorine (and not chloramine) to disinfect your water then all you will need is sodium thiosulfate.

See:

About Chloramine: <http://koiclubsandiego.org/library/chloramine.php>

Homemade de-chlor
    : <http://koiclubsandiego.org/library/homemade_chlorine_neutralizer.php>

Cheap source for sodium thiosulfate: <http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00119LGCU/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX 0DER>

Quote Originally Posted by ricshaw View Post
    If your local municipality water district ONLY uses chlorine (and not chloramine) to disinfect your water then all you will need is sodium thiosulfate.

See:

About Chloramine: <http://koiclubsandiego.org/library/chloramine.php>

Homemade de-chlor
    : <http://koiclubsandiego.org/library/homemade_chlorine_neutralizer.php>

Cheap source for sodium thiosulfate: <http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00119LGCU/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX 0DER>
    Right.

The dechlorinator sold to the aquarium trade is ST or ST with various additives (which areoften more about marketing than anything else). The product in a $5 bottle costs about $.02. The rest is water, shipping, marketing and mark-up. I got a 50-lb bucket of crystals about 3 or 4 years ago for about $80 and still working on using it up. I'm sure the price has gone up.

Page 13 of 24 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast