Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Koi Pond 2012

Tosai

Koi Pond 2012

Here are photos of my pond, my largest koi, the waterfalls and the bog.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Koi Pond 2012-dsc_0001.jpg   Koi Pond 2012-dsc_0002.jpg   Koi Pond 2012-dsc_0003.jpg   Koi Pond 2012-dsc_0004.jpg  

Daihonmei
    Very pretty water feature and it looks great in that setting. How deep is it? JR

Tosai
    Quote Originally Posted by JasPR View Post
    Very pretty water feature and it looks great in that setting. How deep is it? JR
    Each end of the pond is about 5 feet deep. The middle is about 3 feet. The bog measures only in inches.

Daihonmei
    aaahh, I see. It didn't look very deep so it must be an illusion from the pictures. I was guessing 30 inches.
    As you know, in your area, the winters get pretty severe and last pretty long. It was a concern, but five feet is good, six even better. Very pretty pond. Do you keep it running all winter?

JR

Tosai
    Looks Nice
    But not a good koi pond .
    The stones look good now but will be a nightmare to clean this in the long run .

Do you have any bottom drains ?
    Patrick

Tosai
    aaahh, I see. It didn't look very deep so it must be an illusion from the pictures. I was guessing 30 inches.
    As you know, in your area, the winters get pretty severe and last pretty long. It was a concern, but five feet is good, six even better. Very pretty pond. Do you keep it running all winter?

JR
    Yes. But this year and sending my Koi to a "hotel" for the winter. I've lost some in the last few years and don't want to loose any more..=

Tosai
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucks Koi View Post
    Looks Nice
    But not a good koi pond .
    The stones look good now but will be a nightmare to clean this in the long run .

Do you have any bottom drains ?
    Patrick
    Not a good Koi pond? Why would you say that? Had Koi in it for the last 15 years or so. It's like 2200 gallons. It stays cleans with a little work and the greenclean.

No bottom drains. Water is filtered through the bog and re-cycles through the top waterfall. Keeps the water clean.

Daihonmei
    Quote Originally Posted by bbdrag0n View Post
    Not a good Koi pond? Why would you say that? Had Koi in it for the last 15 years or so. It's like 2200 gallons. It stays cleans with a little work and the greenclean.

No bottom drains. Water is filtered through the bog and re-cycles through the top waterfall. Keeps the water clean.

Morning, Bucks koi is right in that the mulm that builds in rocks is a problem. I'm surprised you haven't had problems with infections. If you keep one year old koi and stock lightly then that might account for your success? Dosing with algacides is a telling sign of pollution. I do think the waterway/stream helps a lot as it is water volume and can't be stocked so that your stocking/water ratio is better than without it. In addition to unused water volume, the stream is a good degasser for your system. I imagine your water stays cool most of the year and when it heats you would likely get green without the additives.
    With all due respect and as a postive crtitique, I do kinda doubt the depth? I don't wish to embarrass or challenge, but it looks to be 3 feet to me.
    If I were you I'd try jikins in that pond as it seems idea for that species-- here's a Utube on a few ( sorry for the music-- its very bad) These are attractive fish from above and 'fit' your system a lot better than an adult koi would. Just an opinion. JR

Jikin - YouTube

Tosai
    Morning, Bucks koi is right in that the mulm that builds in rocks is a problem. I'm surprised you haven't had problems with infections. If you keep one year old koi and stock lightly then that might account for your success? Dosing with algacides is a telling sign of pollution. I do think the waterway/stream helps a lot as it is water volume and can't be stocked so that your stocking/water ratio is better than without it. In addition to unused water volume, the stream is a good degasser for your system. I imagine your water stays cool most of the year and when it heats you would likely get green without the additives.
    With all due respect and as a postive crtitique, I do kinda doubt the depth? I don't wish to embarrass or challenge, but it looks to be 3 feet to me.
    If I were you I'd try jikins in that pond as it seems idea for that species-- here's a Utube on a few ( sorry for the music-- its very bad) These are attractive fish from above and 'fit' your system a lot better than an adult koi would. Just an opinion. JR

Jikin - YouTube

When my mom (deceased) first put in the pond, she threw in some feeder fish just to see if they survived. The dang things lasted almost 10 years and got fairly large. Jinkins are just to small for this pond. The pictures are probably don't show the true depth of the water. Reflection of the light vs. water really diffused the true pictures. I have a hand full of baby koi and 2 shubunkins in their now who are only 4-6 inches and you can barely see them.

The decision to take out my Koi this winter isn't because they die, it's because I have a family of racoons that eat the fish during the winter. They live under the deck. Found scratches or teeth marks on the back of the 4 fish that survived. I have 4-5 beautiful Koi last year that disappeared during this past winter. Now I know why.

The Clean Green works great for the algae that I get during the hot summer. It's never a big problem. The pond is always power washed in the spring before opening. I added a couple Japanese banded sharks this year. They are suppose to be good algae eaters. We'll see. Still too early in the season.

I will head up to Keystone Hatcheries in Richmond to get 1 or 2 10-12 inch koi as soon as they are ready. My pond is still a bit cooler than theirs. http://www.keystonehatcheries.com/Default.asp

So you clean all the Koi Feces out once a year in the Spring ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast