Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: saki hikari

Tosai

saki hikari

koi food who uses saki hikari growth diet? and is it good

Sansai
    Hikari food generally is very good. It always exceeds the minimum spec that they advertise (each individual pack has it's own protein level measured for that batch). So might be 40% but that pack has 44% protein.

The Saki line is very low waste very high quality and ludicrously expensive.
    Lovely food though. What you'd want to eat if you were a koi.

Daihonmei
    Very good food, but for the price, we could soon begin feeding our koi fresh lobster just to save some money here and there!

Daihonmei
    Don't want to hijack the thread but my comment has he thinking-- we recently read about litigation that cost someone 100K US dollars for providing KHV koi. This was not so much about the koi as the money involved in every good koi collection. I know that at my peak in show koi I had conservatively 80 K swimming around outside!
    So on one hand we do not want to skimp when it comes to providing 'proportional' care, product and design to accommodate our ' living investments'. But on the other hand, I do worry that we are making this hobby more and more expensive at a time when the hobby is weak.

I think a lot of my concerns are linked to real estate prices, the weak western currencies, the weak economy , high transportation cost and high cost of electric. Throw in shipping and the demand competition coming from countries that are rising ( Asian areas) and we one thing-- a hobby under pressure.

I come to a few conclusions-- It is getting harder to support a good koi collection and also to replace it over time. and two) we must find more value in the koi we buy

JR

Sansai
    Good lobster point.
    Made me realise that the cheapest meal my koi get is the frozen prawns first thing in the morning before moving onto dried food.
    Something wrong there

Quote Originally Posted by JasPR View Post
    Don't want to hijack the thread but my comment has he thinking-- we recently read about litigation that cost someone 100K US dollars for providing KHV koi. This was not so much about the koi as the money involved in every good koi collection. I know that at my peak in show koi I had conservatively 80 K swimming around outside!
    So on one hand we do not want to skimp when it comes to providing 'proportional' care, product and design to accommodate our ' living investments'. But on the other hand, I do worry that we are making this hobby more and more expensive at a time when the hobby is weak.

I think a lot of my concerns are linked to real estate prices, the weak western currencies, the weak economy , high transportation cost and high cost of electric. Throw in shipping and the demand competition coming from countries that are rising ( Asian areas) and we one thing-- a hobby under pressure.

I come to a few conclusions-- It is getting harder to support a good koi collection and also to replace it over time. and two) we must find more value in the koi we buy

JR
    Yep.

A few months back I expressed my frustration that I could no longer get Hikari sinking wheatgerm without spending over $8 per pound (including shipping). I'm waiting for the usual seasonal sales, but they do not seem to be happening this year. I am using other foods (still premium brands) acquired in volume, and have gotten the overall price per pound down to about $5.25... LOL. Since the pond temp hit 80F this week, appetites are a bit off, so down to 1.0 to 1.25 pounds per day. Makes me glad a winter fast is good for the koi.

Meanwhile, water conservation concerns have resulted in a 30+% increase in water costs for doing water changes. Over the past 3 years the skimmer filter mats have gone up 50%. Electric charges are up more than the rate of inflation. Even sodium thiosulphate is up, but got a 50lb container that will last 'forever', reducing unit cost per water change.

I am fortunate that I can afford to raise my koi as I prefer to do, but it does seem ludicrous. The sellers of koi food and supplies should subsidize breeders to give away koi to create a need for their products. Interesting how folks get much more concerned about what they pay for a fish than the 'little' costs that add up to so much more over the course of a year.