Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rock

Nisai

Rock

I'm currently building a new pond 10 x 20, 2 feet shallow end sloped down to 4 feet to my bottom drain. I told the wife u can't put rocks on the bottom, she wants rock walls. I know u shouldn't have a rock bottom but is it okay to have rock walls?

Nisai
    Rocks are great surrounding a pond, decorating flower beds, building walls, hell they're great anywhere.......................................... .......... except in the water.

rock hard abs, rock city, rock and roll, rockabye baby, rock salt, rock band, rock cliff, rock mountain, rock road, liverock, rock waterfall, rocks in the head, rock candy, rock dove, rock bottom, rock lobster, rock fish, rocky, rockwork, rocker cam, rocking horse, rock of ages, rock garden...but there is no rocks in the pond.
    Last edited by kingkong; 05-10-2012 at 03:35 PM.

Tategoi
    As has been mentioned don't use rocks in the pond or for the walls they collect crud and the fish can damaged themseleves on them. You can however use a rock coping edge, here the rock would only be a few inches in the water and they'll hide the liner.

The liner will hide itself with a film of algae

Nisai
    Mmmmmmmmmmm, Someone mention Rock Lobster?

Nisai
    A very good friend built a WONDERFUL deep pond with some of the best filtration around - state of the art, when built several years ago. However, he left an overhang of three to four inches of rock, extending out over the water all around the top edge of the pond. "Just decoration" he said, while building the pond. Now, many of his best koi are all 'dinged up', particularly their dorsal fins, from hitting those rocks with their backs. (I usually think to myself that koi are sort of like three year-old children - if they can find a way to hurt or injure themselves, it's probably going to happen.)
    S. Stone

Daihonmei
    if you build it, the koi will come ( and itch themselves on it!). Rocks in koi ponds are a bad idea. JR

If you don't want to keep high quality, show quality, expensive Koi, but want to keep your wife happy you might consider a compromise... something like the guy in these videos does.

Not something every Koi person might agree with.

Quote Originally Posted by 300wby View Post
    I'm currently building a new pond 10 x 20, 2 feet shallow end sloped down to 4 feet to my bottom drain. I told the wife u can't put rocks on the bottom, she wants rock walls. I know u shouldn't have a rock bottom but is it okay to have rock walls?
    Though you didn't ask for comments regarding your pond design other than the rock, I can't help but ask, why only 2 feet deep sloping to 4? Making your pond deeper, say 5 or even 6 feet in depth would give you much more water volume, mitigate temperature swings, and allow for more and generally 'healthier' fish. And keep in mind that algae thrives in warm, shallow water, and the floating microscopic algae that constitutes 'green water' simply loves those conditions.

One of the truisms you always hear about pond building is, 'no matter how big you make it, you'll always eventually wish it was bigger!'

Nisai
    Quote Originally Posted by ricshaw View Post
    If you don't want to keep high quality, show quality, expensive Koi, but want to keep your wife happy you might consider a compromise... something like the guy in these videos does.

Not something every Koi person might agree with.

That's exactly what she wants. She seen the video and wants it done like that, I don't think I can change her mind now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast