Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Which Oyagoi?

Quote Originally Posted by dizzyfish View Post
    Hi Sunny I don't believe it will take a week for them to hatch unless it is colder in Texas than I thought. By the third day I usually begin collecting a few fertile looking eggs to look at under the microscope. I then collect a few each day to see their development. It is sort of neat watching them move inside the egg. Both your male and females look great. I would probably use the biggest female first.
    Congrats,
    Mitch
    Hi Mitch,

You are right. At 73F(23C), I should see the frys swimming around very soon. It's been about three days. So far, I see very few fertilized eggs. Looks like I am going to have to redo the spawn.

I am glad you agreed with my pick for the female oyagoi. Out of the two, I had a hard time choosing one of them because both females have very nice skin quality. The body of the larger female is definitely better, but far from ideal in my view. The sumi qualities of the two fish are very different. The smaller female has very dark grayish patches which are evenly distributed on her body Vs the jet black sumi with various stages of unfinished sumi on the larger female. I am hoping for someone to educate me on the differences between the two types of sumi on these two females. Here are a couple of photos to complement the video above.

Regards,
    Sunny
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Which Oyagoi?-iragashi_sanke-002.jpg   Which Oyagoi?-sankeoyagoi2012-016.jpg   Which Oyagoi?-sankeoyagoi2012-027.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Koicjl View Post
    Looking good Sunny, 8 hour into the spawn I think you will have enought eggs to play with. One thing about Female returning back with full of eggs
    still may not be good for her. Usually when i finish spawn them I try squee
    all the eggs out of the female and then I return her back.
    Hi Chin,

I don't think there are enough frys for me to compete with you and Junichi-san. I may have to spawn them again. If I knew how to express the eggs and sperm out of them, I would have done it after the spawn. I thought about doing it but I was afraid of damaging them. I will look for another sanke male to help them out next time. Is there anybody in the Dallas area with a good sanke male that I can borrow?

Regards,
    Sunny

Quote Originally Posted by Flounder View Post
    I'm not Bram but I'll have to do since this info is from the breeder himself.

Dainichi does not spawn artificially, they only spawn naturally, the staff are up at night to watch the process so they can remove the oyagoi when done.

Sunny you realize that sanke are the hardest one to breed?
    Hey Ryan,

Thanks for jumping in! I am very surprised that's the case because spawning naturally with a single male to a female may not yield the maximum number of fertilized eggs. They must have very studly males to go one-on-one with those large oyagois. :-) I am guessing that they do not administer artificial spawns because of the risks of injuring their valuable oyagois. My male must be too fat or inexperienced to be able to take on the female alone this time. I will have another male to join him for reinforcement in the next spawn. :-)

As for why sanke? I like the challenge. It's much more fun and rewarding to do something hard.

How's your breeding program? Any sneak peak yet? Did you get the dapnia going? I have plenty...let me know if you ever need some.

Sunny

Sunny,
    Just to follow up on what Chin said about not returning the female to the pond unfinished. And this would apply if there are males in the pond the female is going into.The reason I heard is that a female should be rested after spawning to get the spawning scent off of her. Otherwise any male in the pond she goes backing will feel obligated to spawn with her, which could result in injury to her.........since those horny males may smell sex and get the wrong idea.

Generally when the koi are done spawning the male or males should be returned to their pond so they don't begin eating eggs almost immediately. After waiting a couple hours or so the female can then be returned.

Sunny,
    Just to follow up on what Chin said about not returning the female to the pond unfinished. And this would apply if there are males in the pond the female is going into.The reason I heard is that a female should be rested after spawning to get the spawning scent off of her. Otherwise any male in the pond she goes backing will feel obligated to spawn with her, which could result in injury to her.........since those horny males may smell sex and get the wrong idea.

Generally when the koi are done spawning the male or males should be returned to their pond so they don't begin eating eggs almost immediately. After waiting a couple hours or so the female can then be returned.
    LOL!!! I was very worried about her when I moved her back to the main pond, which has three other males in there. So far, no one is trying to get freshed with her. Maybe the big male(Sumo) is threathening them with violent if they tried to mess around with his girl.

When will we see your spawning activities? How many pairs are you spawning?

Regards,
    Sunny

Quote Originally Posted by Tosai_Sunny View Post
    When will we see your spawning activities? How many pairs are you spawning? Regards,
    Sunny
    Since you asked......I am happy to reply. So far I have spawned 6 different female koi with probably 15 different males(this Spring) with more to come. 1st spawn female lemon hariwake butterfly with male yamabuki butterfly and also male lemon hariwaki butterfly. Second spawn (same day) female doits sanke with male doits kohaku and male doits sanke. Third spawn was female butterfly kujaku with male butterfly kujaku and normal male kujaku. Fourth spawn was female kohaku butterfly with doits kohaku male and male doits sanke and also male yamabuki butterfly.(?) Fifth spawn was doits ki kujaku female with doits lemon hariwake male (golden) and male doits lemon haiwake.(yellow)Sixth spawn was accidental .....showa butterfly female(almost shiro utsuri) with male kujaku butterfly and normal male kujaku. Mostly I am just trying to breed some stuff to sell wholesale to help pay the bills for the small farm I bought. I still have some possible spawns to go like asagi and shiro utsuri females ripe with eggs and males to go with. I recently moved from backyard breeder to playing in the mud........but I did buy Art Lembke's 32" female Momotaro sanke which I am hoping to breed with a sanke male and kohuku male I am getting from Kevin (Genki)

So I can honestly say ..I have some experience breeding koi, but as far as being very good at it....well I think that's something that comes with time and effort....
    Mitch

Quote Originally Posted by Tosai_Sunny View Post
    Hi Chin,

I don't think there are enough frys for me to compete with you and Junichi-san. I may have to spawn them again. If I knew how to express the eggs and sperm out of them, I would have done it after the spawn. I thought about doing it but I was afraid of damaging them. I will look for another sanke male to help them out next time. Is there anybody in the Dallas area with a good sanke male that I can borrow?

Regards,
    Sunny
    Sunny i am sorry to hear that, but don't give up yet.sometime they don't look like much but after first feeding the eggyoke, you may be surprise, but if you really don't have enough. season is still early so try again.

This year I have bent so busy and have not start our breeding yet. but
    we can't wait.

Since you asked......I am happy to reply. So far I have spawned 6 different female koi with probably 15 different males(this Spring) with more to come. 1st spawn female lemon hariwake butterfly with male yamabuki butterfly and also male lemon hariwaki butterfly. Second spawn (same day) female doits sanke with male doits kohaku and male doits sanke. Third spawn was female butterfly kujaku with male butterfly kujaku and normal male kujaku. Fourth spawn was female kohaku butterfly with doits kohaku male and male doits sanke and also male yamabuki butterfly.(?) Fifth spawn was doits ki kujaku female with doits lemon hariwake male (golden) and male doits lemon haiwake.(yellow)Sixth spawn was accidental .....showa butterfly female(almost shiro utsuri) with male kujaku butterfly and normal male kujaku. Mostly I am just trying to breed some stuff to sell wholesale to help pay the bills for the small farm I bought. I still have some possible spawns to go like asagi and shiro utsuri females ripe with eggs and males to go with. I recently moved from backyard breeder to playing in the mud........but I did buy Art Lembke's 32" female Momotaro sanke which I am hoping to breed with a sanke male and kohuku male I am getting from Kevin (Genki)

So I can honestly say ..I have some experience breeding koi, but as far as being very good at it....well I think that's something that comes with time and effort....
    Mitch
    Wow Dizzyfish you have bent busy,How many mud pond do you have ?
    I always wanted some mud pond to raise frys.

Quote Originally Posted by Koicjl View Post
    Wow Dizzyfish you have bent busy,How many mud pond do you have ?
    I always wanted some mud pond to raise frys.
    I have nine ponds. About 60' x 100' x 6-7' feet deep. Two ( a little bigger)are used to collect water to add to the other ponds. I had a well dug but it is sulfur water, worse than that it contains manganese. The water comes out smelling of sulfur but fairly clear and then turns black when it interacts with the air. It's pretty nasty looking stuff for a couple of weeks, but eventually turns normal looking for a pond. I filled a small pond with this stuff, and it was killing tadpoles. In a couple weeks life begins to return to the pond. I guess it would kill parasites as well. I'm not sure if this water can be aged for use or not, but perhaps it can. I wish I had used the $5K it cost to drill the water to make my water reservoir ponds larger instead. Water levels are already low in the region and the dry season is coming with rumors of a possible drought. So it goes.

Mitch
    I am envious of you, Mitch! I only have about 1,000 gallons to raise my frys. If I ever get serious about spawning, I might rent a mud pond to raise the frys since I can't afford to buy a farm like you did. Best of luck with your endeavor.

Sanke is one of my favorite varieties. I can't wait to see the progress of your 32" Momo sanke spawn.

As for my spawn...The eggs have hatched. I see frys swimming around and chasing after daphnia. I was hoping for a few thousands of frys, but I think I only have a few hundreds.

Regards,
    Sunny

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast