Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Which Oyagoi?

Which Oyagoi?

The three sankes in the video were initially selected for my breeding program this year. The male is the largest one of three and the two smaller fish are females. It was difficult to narrow down to one female to spawn with this big male, but I've finally did it today. The pair were placed in their 8'x8' honeymoon suite this evening. Hopefully, I will see eggs tomorrow morning. I am not sure if I'd made the right decision with the chosen female. I am curious which of the two female oyagois you would choose and why? I will reveal my pick soon. Sorry about the glare in the video.

Cheers,
    Sunny
    Last edited by Brian; 08-14-2012 at 05:36 PM. Reason: fixed youtube link

Any concern about damage to the female with the male being so much larger? What are the ages and size of your oyagoi?

Quote Originally Posted by bobbysuzanna View Post
    Any concern about damage to the female with the male being so much larger? What are the ages and size of your oyagoi?
    Not really, I have taken some precautions including not having any obstructive objects inside the spawning tank and cushioning the liner wall with insolation material. "Sumo" is a 26" gentle male. He was one of two males that spawned with one of the females last year. He is approx. 6 years old. The two females are 24' and 21'. Both were bought as tosais. I need to check my records. I am guessing the larger female is 6 or 7 years old and the small one is 3 years old.

Regards,
    Sunny

Tategoi
    I would breed them both.

Quote Originally Posted by chang26k View Post
    I would breed them both.
    I would if I had the space. Even with a single spawn, I will have to cull very heavily to make sure there's enough room to raise the frys.

BTW, they started spawning this morning. It's been over 5 hours and they are still going. I see very little eggs. He seems to be having a little trouble expressing eggs from her. I think he needs help from another male. Being so bulky might a handicap in this case. He can't keep up with her. After this spawn, I might put him on a diet to slim him down a little?

Here is the couple in their private moment.

Regards,
    Sunny

I love the video. I was hoping to take a video this year but they did it all before I got up. Apparently you need to get up at 4 or 5 to catch my koi breeding What are you using for the spawning media?

Quote Originally Posted by Koijazz View Post
    I love the video. I was hoping to take a video this year but they did it all before I got up. Apparently you need to get up at 4 or 5 to catch my koi breeding What are you using for the spawning media?
    Thanks Koijazz! I am glad you enjoyed the video. My fish did take their time to enjoy the "courtship" long enough for me to video them. As for the spawning media, I use twisted poly rope from Lowe's hardware store. I cut it into pieces(8"), unwisted, and then tied them together into bunches. It's a little coarse as compared to the real spawning rope available commercially but I am too cheap to spend the money for the real thing.

This spawn was a disappointment because there were not much eggs laid. The spawning activity took about 8 hours. The female was still full of eggs when I moved her back to the main pond. I think they stopped spawning not because they were done but from exhaustion. I am not experienced enough to know, but I think having one male in a natural spawn is not enough. To have a successful natural spawn, you need more than one males. I suspect when Dainichi spawned with one male to one female, they strip the eggs and sperm as soon as the pair started spawning. I think that's the reason they had staffs staying up all night monitoring the spawning activities. Can someone confirm that? I hope Bram still reads this forum to corroborate my suspicion.

Meanwhile, the little eggs that was laid by this pair is still being hatched. The water in the spawning tank is green. As a result, I can't tell how much eggs are in the bottom of it. From what I can see on the spawning rope, there is not much there. I will wait a week for them to hatch. Hopefully, I will have enough to play around with. If not, I might try again with the same pair but adding another male to join the fun.

Sunny

Quote Originally Posted by Tosai_Sunny View Post
    I will wait a week for them to hatch. Hopefully, I will have enough to play around with. If not, I might try again with the same pair but adding another male to join the fun.
    Sunny
    Hi Sunny I don't believe it will take a week for them to hatch unless it is colder in Texas than I thought. By the third day I usually begin collecting a few fertile looking eggs to look at under the microscope. I then collect a few each day to see their development. It is sort of neat watching them move inside the egg. Both your male and females look great. I would probably use the biggest female first.
    Congrats,
    Mitch

Thanks Koijazz! I am glad you enjoyed the video. My fish did take their time to enjoy the "courtship" long enough for me to video them. As for the spawning media, I use twisted poly rope from Lowe's hardware store. I cut it into pieces(8"), unwisted, and then tied them together into bunches. It's a little coarse as compared to the real spawning rope available commercially but I am too cheap to spend the money for the real thing.

This spawn was a disappointment because there were not much eggs laid. The spawning activity took about 8 hours. The female was still full of eggs when I moved her back to the main pond. I think they stopped spawning not because they were done but from exhaustion. I am not experienced enough to know, but I think having one male in a natural spawn is not enough. To have a successful natural spawn, you need more than one males. I suspect when Dainichi spawned with one male to one female, they strip the eggs and sperm as soon as the pair started spawning. I think that's the reason they had staffs staying up all night monitoring the spawning activities. Can someone confirm that? I hope Bram still reads this forum to corroborate my suspicion.

Meanwhile, the little eggs that was laid by this pair is still being hatched. The water in the spawning tank is green. As a result, I can't tell how much eggs are in the bottom of it. From what I can see on the spawning rope, there is not much there. I will wait a week for them to hatch. Hopefully, I will have enough to play around with. If not, I might try again with the same pair but adding another male to join the fun.

Sunny
    Looking good Sunny, 8 hour into the spawn I think you will have enought eggs to play with. One thing about Female returning back with full of eggs
    still may not be good for her. Usually when i finish spawn them I try squee
    all the eggs out of the female and then I return her back.

. I suspect when Dainichi spawned with one male to one female, they strip the eggs and sperm as soon as the pair started spawning. I think that's the reason they had staffs staying up all night monitoring the spawning activities. Can someone confirm that? I hope Bram still reads this forum to corroborate my suspicion.
    I'm not Bram but I'll have to do since this info is from the breeder himself.

Dainichi does not spawn artificially, they only spawn naturally, the staff are up at night to watch the process so they can remove the oyagoi when done.

Sunny you realize that sanke are the hardest one to breed?

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast