Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: special post over on NI

Daihonmei

special post over on NI

Please take a minute. JR

Koi-Unit
    My personal koi page Updated 7/8/07
    ZNA Potomac Koi Club

Good-bye NI. Times do change, and much of the change originated with NI.

Daihonmei
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    Good-bye NI. Times do change, and much of the change originated with NI.
    Amen to that! No one can truly say who and what came first, the chicken or the egg. But one thing is for sure, Nigel was/remains a visionary. he saw the mytique of the hobby and along with Waddy and Peck ran with it. It was a golden time for koi in the west-- there was so much to learn. And these advanced hobbyists of their day put it into writing with Nigel the quiet brain at the helm. Since then entire koi societies have risen and fallen and new ones filled the fertile ground around their roots. Nigel was there, the entire time-- the man behind the innovations, the promoter of the ideas that needed promoting, the energy behind the books, the organizer behind the NI travelers and the soundboard and home page for cutting edge koi conversation of the day. I feel honored to have been a part of it all. Long live the memory!

for those folks in on the early years or those that took the time to post on NI lets make these last four weeks a tribute to what NI was and who Nigel is. Join me over the next few weeks as we remember and share the roots of this hobby as seem through the eyes of NI. And please give shout out to Nigel for all he has given us. JR

I tried to post this on NI but I guess it has been too long since I logged in and I have forgotten my password.

A few years after I became active in the koi hobby I attended the AKCA seminar in Orlando and that is when I met Nigel. We chatted several times at that event and I became a NI magazine subscriber and bought and read the koi pond book he published. I know Nigel mostly through his articles in NI magazine and posts on the NI forum. We did get to visit again at several koi shows and various koi events and I always found him encouraging and great fun to hang with. In fact when I think about it I have never heard anyone say anything negative about Nigel.

I know my initial response to realizing seeing Nigel's post was to feel sad however it soon turned to happiness for Nigel and his continued journey through life. Nigel's post on the NI board brought a lot of smiles as I read the long list of names of koi people and his bits of memories over quite a span of time. I am very grateful for being able to share a bit of it with him.

I just saw a movie where the lead character kept saying "Everything will be oK in the end and if everything isn't OK then it is not yet the end!"

Nigel, I have no doubt you will continue to have a great life. I hope our paths cross again someday!

Best Regards,

Ray Jordan
    Disclosure:These opinions are based on my experience and conversations with persons I consider accomplished koi keepers and do not reflect the viewpoint of any organization.

There is a lot of great info on NI...hopefuly Nigel will keep a backup of it in case someone wants to go through it all and maybe make a read only version of it somewhere.
    Koi-Unit
    My personal koi page Updated 7/8/07
    ZNA Potomac Koi Club

MCA
    Bitter sweet. There were moments of heaven and hell...depending on who posted/said what. But it was NEVER dull!!!!

The western side of this hobby owes a big debt to Nigel.

I wish him every success and happyness.

Good luck Nigel. You built a good magazine back in the day.

Daihonmei
    " Back in the day"??? Some folks have still not caught up to that technology in 2012 that he introduced 'back in the day'! In fact, Ray has a question about old drain lines in his pond and like so many others has noticed that his flow is getting a bit restricted-- Nigel had built in back in 1995, a T assemby from drain to sump so that when the T was opened into a specially build waste sump, the drop in pressure would clean out the line lickity split. I saw it in person, the line was isolated and the sump itself was dumped, and then the water was allowed to flow into the cleaned sump. THEN the T was activated and 'chocolate milk colored water poured out of the exhaust of the T into the waste sump - due to the massive drop in pressure brought about by opening a T into the 'air'. Clever and way way ahead of its time. Does anyone think that garden builder technology out of the national pond building chains has a clue of such advancements in 2012??? I doubt it! In fact I'd bet on it! Nope, 'back in the day' should be so lucky in 2012.
    Sorry for the rant but I needed to set that record straight. Best to you Mark, Jim ( JR)