Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516

Thread: How best to clean out gravity flow drain lines in a older pond?

What exactly is a grey underground vault. Show us a picture and how does it function?

Daihonmei
    Quote Originally Posted by kingkong View Post
    What exactly is a grey underground vault. Show us a picture and how does it function?

Morning Kong, 'grey water' is the term for non- organic waste water like dishwasher water or washing machine water or back flushed water soften water and even gutter water can be dumped here ( I don't do that) . To meet code, all septic water must go of course, into a septic system and leach field. Grey water can be handled with a concrete vault that leaches water into the ground surrounding it. Its underground so I can't get you a picture. But I can describe it--- it is a concrete cylinder of 1000 gallons capacity. It has saucer size holes in it to allow water to collect from lines and then leach into the ground surrounding it. The pit was dug and the cylinder lowered in and surrounded with 1/4 irregular shaped stone. It is then buried and sits about 3 feet below grade.
    The water change water dumps into this. The sump water and bottom drains in the biofilters all dump into the gutter drain water sump and this either overflows to the lawn or is pumped to the garden.
    JR

Quote Originally Posted by JasPR View Post
    Morning Kong, 'grey water' is the term for non- organic waste water like dishwasher water or washing machine water or back flushed water soften water and even gutter water can be dumped here ( I don't do that) . To meet code, all septic water must go of course, into a septic system and leach field. Grey water can be handled with a concrete vault that leaches water into the ground surrounding it. Its underground so I can't get you a picture. But I can describe it--- it is a concrete cylinder of 1000 gallons capacity. It has saucer size holes in it to allow water to collect from lines and then leach into the ground surrounding it. The pit was dug and the cylinder lowered in and surrounded with 1/4 irregular shaped stone. It is then buried and sits about 3 feet below grade.
    The water change water dumps into this. The sump water and bottom drains in the biofilters all dump into the gutter drain water sump and this either overflows to the lawn or is pumped to the garden.
    JR
    I know what grey water is JR, I don't know what a grey vault was. So are you saying you are putting pond wastes (solids) in your septic tank system?

Quote Originally Posted by RayJordan View Post
    The flow rate has dropped over time in my 12 year old pond/filter system especially beginning about 3-4 years ago. When my pond was new and for several years after the total flow rate was about 150 gallons a minute. The flowmeters I bought when my pond was new eventually quit working and are expensive($250-$300) and I had three of them to cover my three returns so I did not replace them. About 4 years ago I bought new flowmeters as it seemed like my flow rate was getting slower. I discovered the flow rate had dropped to 85 gallons a minute and currently it is about 75-80 gallons a minute which translates to a turnover rate of about every 1-1/2 to 2 hours. I believe a combination of hard water (lime scale) and organic growth (Bryzoid's, etc) in my pvc plumbing has caused the reduction in flow rate.

I have some ideas about cleaning out my drain and return lines which I plan to try in th next few weeks. I would like to hear from anyone that has had similar problems and any successful stratagies to put things back in order.
    I tried dryer vent cleaning kit with fiberglass rods today and it worked great for me. I was able to clear 35' and 25' long 4" lines with 2-45* turns and 40' 3" skimmer lines. My two cetus now have 3/4" to 1" down travel left where it was maxed out before causing the pump to suck air.

Tom

Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516