Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: How best to clean out gravity flow drain lines in a older pond?

Quote Originally Posted by ricshaw View Post
    I am still not sure what is meant by adding a T like Nigel said.

Which way is the tee pointing? Up like a vent?
    Wondering the same thing. Probably talking about a cleanout tee like all septic systems have. Still hard to believe how drain pipes could develop that much 'plaque'. Never experienced it myself.

Quote Originally Posted by kingkong View Post
    What size PVC? Can you isolate the pipe?
    Two separate 4 In PVC gravity flow drain lines and a 2 in pump driven PVC line from the skimmer.

As I understand it the "t" is placed in line with the regular plumbing with the middle opening pointed down. A length of pipe is placed on the "purge" circuit to maximize the negative head to increase the purge effect.

I hope to get the parts i need to install the T's and give it a try in the next few days.

I still do not understand how 2- 4 inch pipes could have developed that much iner-wall biofouling to restrict the water flow. I do not understand what this 'T' is to purge ? Will wait and see I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by RayJordan View Post
    As I understand it the "t" is placed in line with the regular plumbing with the middle opening pointed down. A length of pipe is placed on the "purge" circuit to maximize the negative head to increase the purge effect.
    Okay... now I do not understand what is meant by "purge circuit".

Thanks for being patient.

Daihonmei
    A 'T' as I discribed in the first response ( sorry for not explaining it well) is a T PVC coupling installed a few feet before the drain pipe entry to the vortex ( sump). It is closed off with a ball value and the ball value hangs suspended in air. Below the ball value on the Tee is typically a vault to sewage. The vortex is closed and allowed to drain. While the vortex is closed off and empty, the T is opened and water rushes out of the drain pipe and falls thru the air into the dry vault or sewage. This dramatic drop in pressure caused by the opening of the ball value below the T causes a drop in pressure in the pipe and it in turn PULLS the gunk from the line.
    In a demonstration I saw, the usual sump purge was done and the water was allowed to run from the drain line into the empty vortex until the water was clear running into the sump/vortex. Then the vortex was isolated again and the T was opened--- whishhhhhh --- the water rushed out chocolate brown AGAIN from that T purge-- proving that there was still much more in the line that the straight run into the vortex had not dislodged.
    Clear? As clear as Mud? JR

Daihonmei
    Okay... now I do not understand what is meant by "purge circuit".

Thanks for being patient.
    The T is pointed downward into a dray vault or sewage area. The drop in pressure caused by the opening of the T's ball value is the trick. JR

Quote Originally Posted by JasPR View Post
    The T is pointed downward into a dray vault or sewage area. The drop in pressure caused by the opening of the T's ball value is the trick. JR
    I think I GOT IT... when the T's valve is open, water from BOTH the pond and the vortex rushes out.

Daihonmei
    here is a picture from an old issue of NI. This looks like it is a Y design off of the main line running from drain to vortex #1
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How best to clean out gravity flow drain lines in a older pond?-purge-drian.jpg  

Daihonmei
    I think I GOT IT... when the T's valve is open, water from BOTH the pond and the vortex rushes out.
    NO, the vortex is isolated and closed allowing no more water to enter. The T is opened before the vortex and water rushes OUT the line due to a drop in pressure downward.
    Others have done this in other ways-- one pond keeper I know, lives on a hill and runs a flexi pipe down the hill. When he opens the isolated drain line, the drop in pressure from the pipe going down the hill is massive and it pulls the lines clean.
    My design will do the same because a pump will PULL the line clean at 12 hour intervals.
    Many ways to skin this cat. JR

Nisai
    When I dug my pond 25 years ago or so, this tee thing was being talked about at the different dealers as being possibly a good idea in case of a blockage in your 4 inch filter feed pipe.

I fitted my tee piece just before the pipe started to rise to enter my vortex, and put a bit of pipe about 9 inches long into the upward facing tee. Over the bit of pipe went a `push-fit` socket glued onto a length of pipe to make a stand pipe.

When you want to flush out your drain line, shut the feed to the vortex and then just pull the stand pipe off for a few seconds, simple.

To be honest, you do have to remember to jump back out of the way a bit sharpish, `cos the muck will hit you in the face if you don`t and its not a nice taste.

Chris (another one)

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast