Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Beginers to koi

Beginers to koi

How to by KOI
    To start on the hobby, a beginner may want to know how to buy a koi. When purchasing koi, you have your selections placed in a shallow pan so that any diseases or defects can be notice.
    Inspecting KOI
    Swimming movement, should be smooth and active. Gill plate close to body and both moving slowly and regularly. Avoid KOI with redness on skin, white spot, raised scales, cloudily eyes, fin rot, lacerations and parasites.
    The price vary according to their size, quality and condition.
    Requirement to be considered when selecting KOI are as follow :-
    1. Good body conformation
    2. Good shining skin
    3. Sharp pattern edge (Kiwa)
    4. Evenness of colour in the pattern
    5. Overall well balanced pattern.
    Pond condition and environment can change the condition of the Koi. An expensive and beautiful fish can loose its colour in six months because of poorly conditioned pond. A pond with a good system, the colour will deeped and become beautiful. The knowledge of a dealer and KOI keeper determine the future of the fish.
    Transporting KOI
    Check polubags holding KOI is sufficiently large enough to contain the KOI conformably. Ask for two bags. Bags should be oxygenated. Place KOI in a confortable and secure place while transporting KOI in car. Keep KOI away from heat.
    Once the KOI reach the destinated pond, do not release the KOI directly into the pond. Float the bag (with KOI inside) in the pond water for about an hour to equalise the temperature of water inside and outside the bag.
    Quarantine KOI
    When you arrive at home. do not place your newly purchase KOI in to main pond immediately. Instead, the KOI should go the quarantine pond where the fish will have to kept for a period of four to six weeks to ensure that the KOI is clear of any undesired disease or parasite before putting it into the main pond.
    Conclusion
    This article is written in brief as an introduction for those who want to start on the hobby immediately. There are still a lot to be learnt on the this subject.

Paul,

I dont think you are a 'beginner, so why the post? Perhaps you are looking for debate or argument about what you are 'telling' others to do?

OK, so quarantining, why do it? Purchase from only 1 or perhaps 2 dealers, whom you know well and can trust. They treat the Koi and look after it for a short while after importing it and because you 'trust' them you know that they wont add any more new Koi while this is going on. Take your Koi home, and put it straight into your pond.

I have just knocked down my purpose built quanentine system, because I killed more Koi than it did good. I found keeping a Koi in 525 gallon system instead of 10,000 very stressful for them.

Never had and dont expect to, ever have a problem from the dealers I buy from and trust.
    Regards, Bob
    ><{{{{> ><{{{{> ><{{{{>
    <}}}}>< <}}}}><

Nisai
    got to go with you bob only buy from 1 or 2 dealers you can trust the most important thing when buying a koi besides being healthy is that you LIKE it not that it is this breeder or might do this or that.

rick j

hi bob,
    i dont think you should be looking for arguments they dont get you anywhere, it is for beginners that may be browsing the forums as alot of beginers go to garden centres etc
    i went to garden centres when i first started as i didnt know any better and i think most of us did in the beginning, regarding dealers there is allways a good few dealers where you live so you could say that theres good dealers all over the country.
    thanks for your input bob.

paul

Paul,

Can anly apologise if you felt I was starting an argument, but you were telling others what to do. I was just disagreeing with your statement and giving my opinion.

What do you think about the post I made, do you feel that there is an element of 'good practice' in it?

I was previously miss-lead by the quarenteening issue and spend many 's building a system. It is now no more and I am far happier with my 'selected dealer' approach.

Bob: You are taking a calculated risk and know enough to do so. Beginners are not in the same place. Fact is, most true beginners do not have any quarantine of any type and are not going to bother until they lose a pond of fish. I'd only recommend quarantine, but given the reality, I'd also say: If you are not going to quarantine, at least salt the pond to 0.5% to prevent an explosion of nasties while the new guy adjusts.

hi bob,
    regarding q-tanks ive got 2 in my garage and one has been there about 7 months and its never lost a fish and i built another about 2 month ago and thats just going through its maturing stages but only a few small fish in there and none lost in there and readings are all good just a slight nitrite reading on the new one which is exspected.
    regarding quarantine i would always quarantine even though the dealers do a good job but moving fish and taking them home can cause parasites too apear and the water would need to be similar.

paul

Sansai
    Hi Bob,
    Something doesn't sound quite right here. You've killed more koi in your quaranteen system than it did good. (?) I don't understand this statement because our quarateen system is just slightly larger than yours and we have had fish in it for years. Did you try putting fish in your system before you had cycled the filter? Was the filter large enough to handle the system and load?
    In years past I might tend to agree with your reasoning had I not had an up and going system always ready but this is a new day in koi keeping and we have a different problem. A few of our experienced long time koi keeper friends have been personally hit by the (KHV) CNG Virus and it could have been(more of ) and was a devastating experience for them. They trusted their dealers. We don't yet know enough about this virus to say how it will play out and at this point quaranteen is your only protection. Trust me - you do not want to have a break out of this virus. ......and how do you know that you didn't have an out break and that is why your fish died? Symptoms?
    Ruth

It is definitely less stressful for fish to put them in a big pond but if you have a problem with the fish what do you do then? I can't get a fish out of my big ponds unless one they are just about dead two I get very lucky or a I drain my pond. I like to quarantine all new fish for a few months. One of my best dealers with the most interesting fish doesn't always look after them well. Last year they had some external parasites I saw this but I bought them anyway as I knew how to treat them. It is much easier to treat an outbreak in a small amount of water than a big pond. I enjoy reading the different points of view.

Hi all,

Interesting isnt it. A statement is made by Paul ( on what he feels is best), I give an opinion, based upon many years of Koi keeping, but there is no definate answer. Beginers do not have quarentine ponds - I agree - so why recomend the do have? Beginers are very confused by the Koi keeping world and we've all been there. We've all lost Koi and learnt by our experiences.

Koi keeping is much like everything in the world, you have 2 choices:
    - Learn by your own experience
    - learn from others experiences

The difficult part is taking the right advice from those who have 'learnt' through experience. There are lots of experiences and therefore opinions - Paul's brave to put his into words and express them; without anyone stating their opinion, this thread would have died after Paul's initial post.

Keep expeiencing, learning and passing on those experienes for others to make up their own opinions - we all do!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast