Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: Pre-filter with submersible pump

Fry

Pre-filter with submersible pump

hello to all the readers, I am a fairly new enthusiast of Koi and have come up with this problem. First off I wish I had put in bottom drains when I first started my pond however I didnt and regret it now. I have a submersible pump and have tried various forms of filtration however because the waste from the pond is put through the pump by the time it gets to the filter its pulp. I have tried JapMatt, Matala Matt, and in the early days lots of weird and wonderful items. However there was always "Fines" that made its way through the filter. Unless maybe I used a massive amount of material. My latest attempt has been static K1 Kaldness with a similar setup to the Nexus. Again this is unsuccessful. Now because of the "Fines" I am thinking maybe either a "Sand" filter or a "Sieve" Filter.

My pond is not that Large 12,000L and is not overstocked. What would you suggest.

Many Thanks

Tangles1 (Australia)

Nisai
    I suggest a retro bottom-drain. The drain still pulls up water like regular drains, but the water goes into a pipe that goes up and out of the pond instead of underneath it, so you don't have to cut up the pond. I use this myself and it works fine, just be sure to mate it to a self-priming external pump. Submersible pumps make me nervous because there's always a chance of a power surge or an electrical insulation problem.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pre-filter with submersible pump-vacuum_bottom_drainjpg_29673_320x244.jpeg  

Daihonmei
    An old friend once told me " do it right, do it once". Tangles you are an example of most of us-- we start modestly and then struggle through various stages of 'resistance and surrender' until we either leave the hobby or 'do it right'.
    One please you should start before buying even more equipment is with the fish themselves.
    Ask yourself, " what does this fish I'm keeping really need?" and " what is the nature and behavior of this species of fish I wish to keep"

I give you these two reflections so that you can begin to provide the right answers to the ponds design and filtration and possible have you wondering of maybe with a garden pond there are other, better species that would do so much better in your situation/conditions.
    Something to think about. Best of luck. JR

Tangles1: JR is spot on. I had a pond like what you describe. It was a tremendous amount of work to keep koi. You can add more filtration. You can wade into the pond weekly to net out all the leaves and such that settle on the bottom. You can do very large water changes frequently. If you truly dedicate yourself to the task, you can do it and your koi may thrive. But, it will be less expensive and less work to re-do the pond to make it suitable for koi. Yes, it is a lot of work to do it over and there is a significant upfront expense, but afterwards it is less work and the continuing cost is less than adding a hodge podge of new stuff all the time in an effort to overcome design shortcomings. Meanwhile, adding a sand filter will help with capturing fines. But, sand filters have lots of issues of their own. Read up on them as used on koi ponds and you'll see why they are not in common use. Then decide which way you want to go.

BTW, as soon as we finish 'refreshening' the exterior of our house (been replacing windows, the roof, skylights, gutters, etc., etc.) the old lily pond will be re-done. It will house Red Cap Orandas (and excess guppies). It will be designed similar to a proper koi pond simply to keep maintenance down. Less work. More enjoyment.

Sansai
    Certainly replacing your pond is an option...
    but to answer your question.

Installing a bottom drain with an external pump is still a pressurised system with things mashed up by the pump impeller but the pumps are better, so I did that.

I have your problem ie a pond changed to use with koi, so mine is fully pressurised like yours.

It's not easy and there is no magic answer. There are a few pressurised pre-filters around. I use one which isn't very good and needs dismantling once a month to fully clean. This feeds a bead filter which does the job well providing I clean it daily (takes 8 minutes including a 10% water change) otherwise I get "overactive filter" syndrome.

In the long run I could dig it all up and install a shower filter but it's next to the house and the noise is unacceptable. Good luck.