Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Transporting Koi

Nisai

Transporting Koi

Transporting Koi without oxygen in a bag. I have the chance to pick up some faily large koi. 60cm I have to supply the bags and boxes. The distance is about 2 hours drive but maybe longer due to traffic. However allowing for bagging transporting floating ets lets say 4 hours. Will this be ok without oxygen being added to the bag. If not is there anything I can use perhaps adding a week solution of hydrogen peroxide before sealing. Best Regards Dave

Nisai
    I don't think it's a wise decision to transport koi without oxygen in the bags, look on Craigslist for a used oxygen tank and all worries will be gone.
    Ben

Nisai
    Thanks guys I have got the chance to hire a small bottle of gas 5ltrs. Would this be liquid oxygen or just compressed and would this be sufficent for the purpose of transporting say 3 or 4 koi

Daihonmei
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveB View Post
    Thanks guys I have got the chance to hire a small bottle of gas 5ltrs. Would this be liquid oxygen or just compressed and would this be sufficent for the purpose of transporting say 3 or 4 koi

Ben is correct, it is a very bad idea to try and move a large koi without oxygen in the bag!! Buy an oxygen tank if you plan to show. I have two for sale right now if you are in NJ. One tall big boy with regulator and one 'pony' size travel size with high quality regulator-- cheap! JR

Transporting Koi without oxygen in a bag. I have the chance to pick up some faily large koi. 60cm I have to supply the bags and boxes. The distance is about 2 hours drive but maybe longer due to traffic. However allowing for bagging transporting floating ets lets say 4 hours. Will this be ok without oxygen being added to the bag. If not is there anything I can use perhaps adding a week solution of hydrogen peroxide before sealing. Best Regards Dave
    A bit off-topic, but still relevant to moving large koi in tubs or bags; don't forget to set the fish in your car horizontally or perpendicular to the long axis of your vehicle. Transporting the fish facing forward or backward runs the risk of it receiving a significant injury in the event of a sudden stop.

A minor point here really, but just something to consider for the comfort and safety of larger koi.

Nisai
    Hi Guys thanks for the replies. As I live in thUK and do not show it is hardly worth buying a cylinder and regulator. I am having great difficulty sourcing acylinder and regulator complete for hire. So may have to decline the offer if nothing turns up. I have spent all day talking to loacal oxygen suppliers and even a few koi deales sadley no luck A real shame .

Hi Guys thanks for the replies. As I live in thUK and do not show it is hardly worth buying a cylinder and regulator. I am having great difficulty sourcing acylinder and regulator complete for hire. So may have to decline the offer if nothing turns up. I have spent all day talking to loacal oxygen suppliers and even a few koi deales sadley no luck A real shame .
    Have you tried your local koi club or fellow koi enthusiast? Someone in your local outfit is sure to have a tank/regulator set-up they could lend you.

Nisai
    Quote Originally Posted by almostgeorgia View Post
    Have you tried your local koi club or fellow koi enthusiast? Someone in your local outfit is sure to have a tank/regulator set-up they could lend you.
    I think that is my final option and will try this evening. Thankyou for the replies

Oyagoi
    in my first stages of koi keeping i had bought a few larger koi and did not have the bags or such.
    I used rubbermaid containers and then had a few fish tank air pumps and airstones run into the container running the whole time home.was about a 2 hour+ trip and koi did fine for me.
    course still think option of finding local koi keeer with O2 is best bet

Transporting koi that size for 4hours without O2 is asking for some ill or dead koi.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast