Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: GC A vs GC B

GC A vs GC B

If a show has both grand champion a and b. what are koi classes for GC A and GC B competition?

I know you have a reason for asking but wish you'd have been more specific as to your question.

Knee jerk answer for A would be gosanke
    for B would be the other classes

my understanding for adding the B class was to be able to encourage participation with other color varieties for a prestegeous award. And i do like the concept.

I know Shiro utsuri seemed to immediately dominate that class initially but
    I still see SU's being awarded GC A. Is that what was in the back of your mind to ask?

Depends on the show. ZNA Potomac GCA is gosanke plus shiro GCB is everything else.
    Koi-Unit
    My personal koi page Updated 7/8/07
    ZNA Potomac Koi Club

At Louisville, we moved Shiro Utsuri to "A" a couple years ago. Our thought was that Shiro Utsuri dominated "B" , but would be Competitive in "A". We added a "B" Award to Young & Baby Champion as well.

Hobbyist are now bringing very nice NonGosanke that a few years ago would have left at home.

This year a Shiro won Grand Champion at our Show along with a Best in Size (5). We had 169 Koi entered, so this change seems to be working for everyone.

Thanks folks!

Just wonder whether zNA shows in Japan have both a & b?

Thx
    Last edited by dinh; 06-04-2012 at 12:52 PM.

After a long debate, our club voted to have a gosanke grand champion A and non-gosanke champion B for 2013 ZNA NorCal Koi show.

--D

Tosai
    This has indeed been a contentious issue for many clubs. The idea of a B Champion originated at the Louisville show, as Troy pointed out, and was intended as a way to encourage non-gosanke participation in the larger sizes. The idea has really taken off, and we even see 'B' awards given in Japan, as well as in most shows in the U.S.

Personally, I feel that it is important to recognize the BEST KOI IN THE SHOW, regardless of the variety. The confusion arises when a GC 'A' and GC 'B' are awarded side by side. Which is the better koi?

Quote Originally Posted by dinh View Post
    After a long debate, our club voted to have a gosanke grand champion A and non-gosanke champion B for 2013 ZNA NorCal Koi show.

--D

Dude what happened? I thought NorCal was the location of where the gosanke are.

Quote Originally Posted by Flounder View Post
    Dude what happened? I thought NorCal was the location of where the gosanke are.
    We are still the home of the Gosanke.... Most of members have nothing but Kohaku, Sanke and Showa. I was not in favor of having champion b. But after along debate, I live with the Will of the majority of the members.

There are pro and con. I think this will add an additional flavor to the show.

Ryan, please prepare your fish. There will be very high quality fish from Asia be entered 2013 ZNA NorCal show.

--Dinh

Quote Originally Posted by dinh View Post
    We are still the home of the Gosanke.... Most of members have nothing but Kohaku, Sanke and Showa. I was not in favor of having champion b. But after along debate, I live with the Will of the majority of the members.

There are pro and con. I think this will add an additional flavor to the show.

Ryan, please prepare your fish. There will be very high quality fish from Asia be entered 2013 ZNA NorCal show.

--Dinh
    Oh my koi is being prepped now in a Japanese mud pond, Dinh please prepare the GC trophy. You do know what name to put on it right?

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast