Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sick Koi

How long has the pond been set up? Where you at? With flow like that and only two fish I would think water quality would be okay. Is it a liner pond or what?

Fry

Sick Loi

How long has the pond been set up? Where you at? With flow like that and only two fish I would think water quality would be okay. Is it a liner pond or what?

The pond has been set up for 3 years. There have been no problems until recently. I am located in Chuckey, Tennessee about 90 miles north of Knoxville, Tennessee. I had a commercial test of the water quality and it was OK. The pond has a liner.

John

Have you ever had more than two koi in the pond?

Meg
    Quote Originally Posted by jmellon View Post
    I am a novice to Koi care. I have 2 Koi in a 3,000 gallon pond. One of them has been lying under a water plant, near the surface and move around infrequently. I do not know how to diagnose the problem nor how to cure it. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

john Mellon

as all your water inquiries seem just fine and there is no other unusual behavior( clamped fins, gasping at the surface, flashing, ect..... and you dont see anything out of place on the koi's surface like sores ore fungi?)
    perhaps it is behavioral. perhaps it is simply hidding? if they get spooked they can be skiddish for some time

'If the mountain will not come to Muhammad, then Muhammad must go to the mountain'

John,...You might try contacting a member of the koi club you mentioned and see if you can take the sick koi to them. If you do perhaps they can show you how to scape the koi and check for parasites with a microscope. You might also consider buying a microscope for future use. Ask the club member about the proper way to transport your koi.
    Good luck

Fry

Sick Koi

Have you ever had more than two koi in the pond?

Yes, there were originally the two full grown Koi and five young Koi. A great blue heron ate the five young Koi two years ago. I put up great blue heron decoys and have not had a problem since.

John Mellon

Hi John, You mentioned pH and lowering it, Don't, stability is the key and 8.4 is fine. Get yourself your own test kit so you can stay on top of it yourself. An API Master Kit is under $20 just google it. Water in Chuckey is hard as it comes from the Nolichchucky river after it runs over limestone, this should actually provide a nice stable pH with your water changes. Don't have his number, but Gene Winstead in Bulls Gap may be willing to help you out if you can find his phone number in the local book. Maybe you have gill flukes but without positive ID it's a crap shoot. I'm in Jonesborough and would be glad to help with what I can but I don't have a scope as I've never had any issues, just lucky I guess. I'll PM my cell number.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12