Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New guy. Be kind.

Tosai

Smile New guy. Be kind.

Missing koi. 2 white koi gone and one silver one which I really liked. I have probably lost 6 koi since inheriting pond 5 years ago. And have only found one dead. My favorite and largest yellow koi. What suspects shoul I be looking at?

In addition I may make all of you gasp by the fact that I have dyed my water blue. Just want to give my guys a fighting chance and some cover. When I got the pond it had vegetation but previous owner allowed it to grow into a marsh. One koi was dead and trapped in reeds. But I am looking at one water Lilly plant to help.

My pond is a beast by my standards. Probably 3000 gallons. And near 4 feet deep in the middle trench. I took in a foreclosed neighbors refugee fish for him. He had an awesome koi which I did not know had died. All he had left were HUGE comets and a Shabunkin looking fish that is also a monster. My pond has fish from 20" to fry that are less than an inch. They number well over 50!

Please help with any info. I hope to frequently here from people and eventually be able to help other beginners.

Sansai
    There is so much that you ask that it is hard to know where to start.
    You describe a predator taking your fish. The identity of the suspect is almost entirely dependant on where you live- so like most things you will need to supply some detail.

Is your pond a liner pond? What sort of filtration does it have? Do you ever do water changes, if so what percentage how often? Koi and vegetation don't really mix, so a picture might help. 50 fish is a lot for a small pond, but you don't really give an idea of the total mass of fish in there. How many are over 12 inches say? What are you feeding and how much how often?

You haven't really asked a question except for the predator identity. Are you happy with your largely goldfish pond otherwise? What are your aims for koi keeping (apart from the very reasonable one of not having them eaten!)

Start with getting rid of everything that isnt a koi or get rid of the koi and keep everything else.
    Koi-Unit
    My personal koi page Updated 7/8/07
    ZNA Potomac Koi Club

If your pond has steep sides and no wading, you could be looking at a heron.
    If you have sloped sides and shallows you could be looking at raccoons.

to know what your up against is to prepare your plan as to what to do. Sometimes a motioned tripped camera would be worth the investment.

Sansai
    I have one pond with sloping sides and a shallow end and I've never seen a racoon in it!

Why do you always assume that everybody lives in the USA?

MCA
    Because most of those that don't, wish they did.

Quote Originally Posted by MCA View Post
    Because most of those that don't, wish they did.
    He he he! I dont...I am even scared to go on holidays there...I watch too much crime investigation channel and it makes me terrified of USA.
    Too much crime...life is stressful..fast paced...not for me.

Sansai
    I don't wish I did when I hear tales of racoons cleaning out your pond. At least I only have herons to contend with.

Plenty of raccoons at my house but a long time ago I redid my pond to raccoon proof them and no longer have problems with raccoons or herons.
    Koi-Unit
    My personal koi page Updated 7/8/07
    ZNA Potomac Koi Club

Algaemaster, where do you live? That information would help us to help you.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast