Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: frozen and what to do?

frozen

Betty who? don't know if the females would respond like chickens with a rooster around.... makes a bit of sense tho... my females always emerge quite plump in the spring.

Tosai
    Mike! Can I help you!!
    Here in the subWinter Central Washington I've had to deal with a similar predicament as you are dealing with now for the past 8 to 9 years. Through lots of trial and error (dead fish, some of my favorites), I have come up with a boiled down battle plan. You are welcome to use it if you think it will help.

- DON'T bang on anything! The sound from the concussion alone can stress and/or kill the fellas (use water -see later).

- Turn off all your pumps and drain them. Some "experts" say that the friction caused by running water(waterfall, streams...) raise the temperature. N O T ! Didn't work for the old man.
    - If your pond is frozen over and your air lines are frozen in the ice, it's time for the old de-icer trick. You do NOT have to run your de-icer 24-7 for the rest of your life. Put the de-icer more than 3 to 4 inches away from your air line (did you know plastic melts?), plug it in and go get another three fingered toddy and sip on it for the next hour or so (you know your limit).
    - After an hour, if you can still stand up, fill a couple 'a 5 gallon buckets full of HOT water, find a watering can (yeah I know, I know, you'll see, just wait), and slog back out to your pond. If the air line is not free yet (it probably won't be, but it will be close), fill your watering can full of the hot water and pour it from about 2 feet from above and around your air line and it will drill a hole through the ice (instead of running all over the top of your pond). (It'll probably still splash all over you, but hey, that's progress...)
    - Now that the air line is free and you have a melted hole next to it, unplug the de-icer and set it aside for another day. (Did you know that de-icers make real interesting scars on your buddies when they discover that dad has put a heater just for them in their frozen pond?) Raise the air stone to 10 to 12 inches below the water surface. You just want to use the air to keep the hole open. Your guys down on the bottom will have enough oxygen, don't worry.

- If you have followed these instructions and have not felt a desparate need to go back for at least a couple more toddies, you will find a hole in the ice will stay open for a long time, even without the de-icer.

- Voila! This regimen works for me like a charm. At least I haven't killed anything this way lately. I suppose that means I am losing my "expert" status. (Here in the PNW, it's claimed that the more you have killed, the more of an "expert" you are.) I hope all this helps ya. DANG! DON'T WINTER JUST SUCK!

frozen

The millhouse was custom made for me by the ever talented Pensylvania Dutch. It does fit in nice and give a meaning and source to the falls. In the summer the wheel is fed by a splitter of the filter line and is a true overshot wheel. If I ever get to it I want to place a small air compressor inside pwered by the wheel to add a bit of airation and to add to the storries around the pond. Air line isn't frozen as of yet but will keep in mind suggestions to melt if needed.

Tosai
    Mike! ...No offense man but here in Central Wa. your "mill" looks like one of our outhouses!? Did you steal one of my "dew pots" and hall it to NJ a few years ago?
    Just think of your waterfall as a quaint "winter sculpture"

MikeM...Even tho you are sittin' 'n sippin' in a HOT place I still like ya. You were the first one to welcome me to the board. DANG! Warm fuzzies....

over in the uk were not getting it as cold as usual so far its been pretty mild did have one day of snow but temps have risen slightly but weve encounted some bad winds this evening.

paul

Tosai
    Here at my location in Norway we have 15 cm within the last 5 hrs, will it ever stop :cry:

Lars

SMG: Not just any Betty Sheffield ... cv Supreme has a pale pink petal, with deep rose picotee on a slightly ruffled edge. My specimen seems to have suffered a virus or some such, because an occasional bloom will be white with the picotee trim. If only it was more than an odd flower. Doesn't seem to be a particular branch or I'd get a real camellia freak to come do a graft. The showpiece right now is Rebel Yell ... semi-double as truly red as I've ever seen in a camellia with a bright yellow stamen center. There is a problem when camellia blooms fall in the pond. Being in the tea family, the blooms stain the water brown. But, it is nifty to have a camellia blossom float across the surface with the koi swimming below. They've given up trying to eat them. ... I guess I should get a bridge and add a samurai and ... sound familiar?

MCA

Brady was right about the snow Saturday

We did a dusting of it here on the north side.

The koi don't mind. The swim around the 800w heater in their tank and want MORE food.

MCA

The Mandivilla vines I use to cover the 8 foor TT drop their flowers into the pond. It is a lovely sight to see a floating flower being nudged along by a jewel. Now the vines are trimmed back and sleeping under the pine needles in their big pots. When it gets really cold I drag them into the house.

frozen pond

Here is Alberta it stays frozen all winter down to -40 C sometimes but only-30 this winter so far. I bring my Koi in but did leave one group out one year. I lost half of the 40 from ammonia build up right at the end of winter. My filters werent running that would have helped. Quite a few people here leave them out all year though and most of them survive with some care using the 1500w floating stock tank heaters and air. I leave mine out in the pond until the water starts to freeze and then bring them into the garage. If I go away for a while I lower the temp to 10C and they do fine till I come back in a month. Of course I get someone to check on them daily. But they don't have to do the feeding and water changes etc.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12