Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: Has anyone built a waterfall/weir?

Has anyone built a waterfall/weir?

I want to build a 60" lighted weir for a sheet of water to fall from. Both pumps will push 8,500 gph each but will be slowed somewhat by the sieves and showers. So lets say the combined water going through the falls will be a maximum of 12,000 gph. I know this is probably high but I want to make sure I don't have a "blow out".

I know I have to put baffles in it to make sure the falls are even all the way across. What I don't know is do I have to build some type of box/container for the water to enter in before going over the weir? Can I just build a minimum sized box, say 60" long, 8" wide and 8" deep for the (2) 4" pipes to enter?

The 2 return pipes will also be split, each going to a spitter that Meg made of me. I'll put valves on all the pipes so I can adjust the flow to each.

I guess what I'm concerned about is looking at prebuilt falls, 36" falls can only handle 3600 gph. That's not nearly enough for what I want to do. If I have more flow, will the falls just go further from the wall instead of falling inches from the wall?

Does anyone have a build I can look at?
    The views expressed above are my own personal views and, as such, do not necessarily reflect the views of the AKCA or the KHA program.
    SANDY

MCA
    Sandy look at ready made ones from swimming pool supply houses. They will have pool weirs and waterfalls boxes in stainless or plastic. You can get them with lights inside. Just make sure they do not have tight openings that can clog over time with organics from ponds that are not in pools. I had a small one back in Plano Tx over 10 years ago....it clogged in around 6 months and there was no way to get inside to clean it.

W Lim makes some waterfall boxes that are around 3' wide. You could do two beside each other. You could put underwater LED lamps inside.

Stepping Waterfall Filters
    Koi keeping is not a belief system; it is applied science with a touch of artistry.

Thanks, Michael.

I can't afford to buy one and would rather make it. You know me, DIY.

Meg suggested building the box out of plywood and fiberglassing it. I'm going to build it 6' long, just haven't figured out how deep and wide it needs to be. That's plenty cheap enough and I can easily build that.

I'm going to add lights.

Hi Sandy, from your description it looks like you'll be working with acrylic. This guy builds aquariums but here are some great acrylic How Too's
    Working with acrylic - YouTube

Thanks. I'll watch it at work tomorrow. My internet is too slow to watch vids.

WAC
    Tosai
    The larger the "box" or "reservoir" ... the more forgiving the baffle needs to be ... although baffle(s) will still be necessary.

Many of the manufactured units have a lower "max flow" rate because they are a closed-top (pressurized) unit. Too much water thru a closed top unit = thumb over a garden hose. Although virtually NONE of the manufactured units will ever drop in a perfect 90 degree drop. The closed-top units will have some sort of an arced-trajectory as they exit the lip.

How high up do you intend to place the unit you're designing?

It should be about 2' above water level.