Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Any mud pond with koi, or natural pond with koi owner here ?

I have a small mud pond compared to yours, 30x70x5. It is 2.5 years old and I have not drained it because I don't have my pond built to move my fish.

I have pulled a few fish out to check them and they all look healthy.

I do water checks and the water parameters are fine other than the low pH for which I add Gypsum.

The bottom does need to be mucked out and hopefully that will happen next Spring. I'm getting ready to start my koi pond the end of this week.

As for parasites, I'm sure they're in there but as Troy said, unless something happens to stress them out, the parasite population does not explode.
    The views expressed above are my own personal views and, as such, do not necessarily reflect the views of the AKCA or the KHA program.
    SANDY

Mitch, I'm not the one who handles the Bugs so I'll have to talk to them to give you the right answer.

I do know we used Minn Finn the last couple years.

Yes, we Lime the Pond after Harvest in the Fall.

Troy...I guess I don't understand what happens to the koi once they are removed from the mud pond.....then measured and photographed. Do they go to a communal treatment center.....or do they go home with their owners?

Quote Originally Posted by dizzyfish View Post
    Troy...I guess I don't understand what happens to the koi once they are removed from the mud pond.....then measured and photographed. Do they go to a communal treatment center.....or do they go home with their owners?

Mitch, For about a week or two, one year well over a month, my garage turns into a Koi Show. I setup show tanks with filtering and all the Koi are treated for Parasites.

Okay, well that makes sense. I would still be interested in what parasites have actually been observed.....so if you can find that out it would be much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by dizzyfish View Post
    Okay, well that makes sense. I would still be interested in what parasites have actually been observed.....so if you can find that out it would be much appreciated.
    Wow, never thought this post would shut down discussion for 10 hours.

Tosai
    I have worked on a koi farm and scraped many fish out of the mud. Every now and then we luck out and there are no bugs. Flukes seem to be the most common bug but we have found ick, trik, chilodonella, argulus also. Sometimes as many as three different ones at a time. Don't know how they get there but we assume fish out of the mud have parasites unless we can prove otherwise. As stated before, unless stressed they don't seem to be as big a problem in the mud as in our smaller ponds...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12