Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any mud pond with koi, or natural pond with koi owner here ?

Tosai

Any mud pond with koi, or natural pond with koi owner here ?

I have a natural pond which is three years old with landscape around it. I don't know if I can call it mud pond or not. I was wondering if any one here has a pond like that with info to share.

Thank you,
    Alex.

MCA
    If there is no liner/sealant so that the walls and floor are dirt/mud, most of us would likely call it a mud pond. But as for being natural, if it was set up by humans, it is not a natural pond. Are you doing water changes to control pollution buildup?

Tosai
    No, I have not done any water change at all. The pond is fill with rain water or water from a lake near by. My pond is about 40'x40'x8' deep, it will take a lot of water for water change. During the mid summer the water level will get low so I will run a pump from a lake about 300' away and fill the pond. I think I need to drain the pond to clean out the bottom of mug and tree branches.

If it was me.......I would consider making the pond larger next time you drain it for cleaning, if feasible. 8' deep is okay but longer and wider would be nice. I have several ponds around 100' long and 60' wide and 6-8' deep, if anything I wish they were larger. Having water you can pump in during dry season is a big plus, but you may also be adding parasites. What are your goals for the pond?

Tosai
    dizzyfish,
    That is my concern big time when I am pumping water from the lake to fill the pond (parasites). The ponds water level getting too low during mid summer, so deperate needs cause deperate action. If I have a choice, I like to dig the pond deeper that way I might be able to find a natural spring fed water. I like to have the pond bigger but there is no room for it. I am thinking about having a pump with a pipe to the bottom of the pond and suck out all the mug, leaves, and debris on the bottom. By the way, where is the spell check icon ?

So a lake 300 yards away has Parasites, but the one with Koi doesn't ?

If it's a Natural Pond, It HAS Parasites !

Tosai
    HEADACHE6,
    You are saying all natural pond has parasites in it doesn't matter how careful we are to quarantine our koi ? That does not sound good at all.

Quote Originally Posted by mykoi View Post
    HEADACHE6,
    You are saying all natural pond has parasites in it doesn't matter how careful we are to quarantine our koi ? That does not sound good at all.

How do you keep a Natural Pond from getting Parasites when it has Frogs, Turtles, Snakes, Birds, Etc. coming and going from one pond to the next ?

From what I understand, even outdoor Linered Ponds have a small count of Parasites, it's when that count grows because of certain conditions that we have problems.

MCA
    Assume all koi in all pond have parasites...until scraping and scoping proves otherwise. That is why we QT before we put koi into our display ponds.

Quote Originally Posted by HEADACHE6 View Post
    So a lake 300 yards away has Parasites, but the one with Koi doesn't ?

If it's a Natural Pond, It HAS Parasites !
    Hi Troy....glad you posted. I've been wondering which parasites you find when the koi are taken out of the Kentucky Mud Pond? I agree that all natural ponds are likely to have parasites, but are they likely to have all the common parasites that attack koi? Have you ever scraped a frog to see what it's carrying on its skin? It's easy to see leeches on snapping turtles, do the leeches also have parasites? I also find eastern spotted newts and water dogs (axoloti) when I drain a pond. And these often have white bumps that I believe are leech eggs on them......after I look at them under a microscope.

I guess what I'm wondering .........are there any parasites that commonly affect koi that are almost always carried in by other fish or the water they are in? After having mud ponds for a few years I've come to accept I almost always find Chilodanella for example, but I'm not seeing all the other stuff every time. So I noticed you lime the pond after the fish are removed, and I assume you are not introducing parasites when you put the koi in.......so just what have you found when you take them out?
    Thanks,
    Mitch

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast