Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: American Koi Judges Association!

American Koi Judges Association!

Koi-Unit
    My personal koi page Updated 7/8/07
    ZNA Potomac Koi Club

Only 7 Hours Old and we have our own Thread !

Quote Originally Posted by HEADACHE6 View Post
    Only 7 Hours Old and we have our own Thread !
    Quite frankly I'm surprised it took that long .
    Koi-Unit
    My personal koi page Updated 7/8/07
    ZNA Potomac Koi Club

Daihonmei
    Wow! Shocking! Well kept secret-- I assume that the AKCA program is now defunct? Is AKCA also gone? Curious minds want to know! JR

Quote Originally Posted by JasPR View Post
    Wow! Shocking! Well kept secret-- I assume that the AKCA program is now defunct? Is AKCA also gone? Curious minds want to know! JR
    Notice how there's been no public debate for months? When folks reach the point that no benefit can come from discussion, they just move on and leave the tension behind. So, folks are moving on.

For those interested, an open web letter.....

Dear Koi Club President or member contact,

We hope this announcement finds you and your club members healthy, happy, and off to a great ponding season. The purpose of this email is to inform koi clubs throughout the United States of a chan...ge in the affiliation of our koi judging group. Effective June 15, 2012, the new name of our group will be the American Koi Judges Association (AKJA). We will no longer be affiliated with any other koi organization. Our new independent position means we can assist the entire koi hobby without being placed in a difficult position of defending any other organization’s political actions. For the American koi hobby and hobbyist we doubt you will notice much of a difference. We will continue to offer our services for judging koi shows, giving presentations at club meetings, and volunteering to support the local koi hobby in any way we can.

We will be pretty much the same group of koi judges (with a few exceptions) that were affiliated with a national koi club organization previously. In recent years our talented judges group has provided judges for 30+ koi shows annually plus countless other events where we served as speakers, show staff, and volunteers to many other koi related events.

We are retaining all the same proven rigorous requirements for applicants and certified koi judges except for requiring them to be affiliated with any other specific group. American Koi Judges Association (AKJA) Certified Judges have retained their previous level of training, certification, and seniority that was earned with another organization. By joining and creating an independent self-governed organization of koi judges we know that we will be even better able to provide excellent support and assistance to any and all local koi clubs regardless of their national affiliation. We are developing a new website which can be accessed at American Koi Judges Association - Home and is free and available to anyone.

Koi judges and candidate judges with our organization are proven excellent teachers and experienced koi keepers. We plan to post a lot of free information and online articles about koi appreciation and other koi related topics on our new website as we move forward. We encourage your club to send an email for any koi related events you are planning to be posted on our koi event calendar by our webmaster who is Dale Gingerich at: [email protected]

If you would prefer to have another person in your club receive this and any other related information about our group please reply by sending that persons name, club affiliation, and email address to Bryan Bateman at : [email protected] you have any questions about the American Koi Judges Association please do not hesitate to contact any of our Judging Committee members. We look forward to seeing you at a koi event sometime soon,

Respectfully,

Charles Phelps, AKJA Chairman - [email protected]

Bryan Bateman, AKJA Committee - [email protected]

Ray Jordan, AKJA Committee - [email protected]

Daihonmei
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    Notice how there's been no public debate for months? When folks reach the point that no benefit can come from discussion, they just move on and leave the tension behind. So, folks are moving on.

True enough Mike. True enough. And as I just related to one of my ZNA presidents-- life is about change.
    My concern is where this leaves the koi community? We now have three judging organizations. All the major shows are ZNA chapters and AKCA clubs. So this fracture amongst people forces clubs and chapters to take sides. That worries me. The pie is getting smaller due to the economy and due to the hobby getting blurred with other ponding hobbies. Now the shrinking pie is going to be divided into thirds. perhaps the end of the culture is closer than even I warned about over the past few years- Spindola and Berkow must be rolling in their graves. very tragic but the dye is cast so brave new world! My only wish is that those that did this remain around to see it thru into the next decade plus. It would be doubly tragic to see this reduce AKCA to a regional and then for the new shapers and movers to move away from the hobby, die or just become older and disinterested. A group of people with like minds has power. But stay power is about having a culture, a structure, a philosophy and a belief system.
    I will hold my opinion regarding the situation until I know more. I think we all should not condemn or praise the flavor of the month until we know more of the core groups intentions and plans. So far they have been very secretive, but there might be a reason for that, I suppose. JR

I'd not say secretive as much as not on the internet making noise. The noise we heard early in the year evidenced how much people cared. With rejection came a loss of interest in 'that stuff'. So, now just going about the tasks of laying a foundation for a different approach for those interested. No need for anyone to take sides. No reason to argue. Those so inclined can obtain whatever advantages they see in all the approaches, or settle in where it is comfortable. Life goes on. Enjoy.

Is there a list of members and where they are located?

Thanks Mike, you are ever the peacemaker (bless you).
    Just waiting for the other shoe to drop.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast